A Good Accident

When the day of Whitney's flight came, I texted her repeatedly telling her to take care and that I'd miss her, but not one text came back in return. That alone made working all the more difficult.

I didn't even look at my customers as they ordered that day.

"Next please." I said in a monotone voice.

"One mint latte to go."

I looked up. Colin Albernon was standing right in front of me.

"You...?" I said quietly, "Why are you still here?"

He gave a confused look.

"Why wouldn't I be? Was I meant to go somewhere, Miss?"

"I thought you were going to London." I said, dumbfounded, "Whitney left this morning to meet you there."

His brow furrowed.

"Why would she do that? I told her I was leaving today so that she'd give up talking to me."

"She thinks she's in love with you, Mr. Albernon, that's why she left." I confirmed, "So now my best friend is probably landing in England right now and figuring out that you aren't there. Do have any idea how devastated she'll be?"

Colin gave me a look.

"It's not my fault that she took me literally. What am I supposed to do? Go to London?"

I scowled.

"You'd better apologize to her. She's probably heart broken, the poor girl." I scolded, "Whitney is a very sensitive person. She most likely cried all her tears by now."

As if on cue, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

*message from Whit*

{Look at who I found'

{Look at who I found'." It read, "Maybe you should join me. He has a twin brother! ;).}

I showed Colin the picture just before he burst out laughing.

"Pardon my reaction," He said through his laughter, "but the irony is impeccable."

I stared at the text.

*Whit is typing*

{I didn't see Colin on the plane, but the twins are better! Their names are Luke and Liam and they're super cute! One for you, one for me?}

*Replying to Whit*

[No thanks. I'll stay here. Have fun in London!]

I shoved my phone back into my pocket and glared at a seemingly out-of-breath Colin Albernon.

"Well," He managed at last, "I suppose this was actually a good accident. Don't you think?"

"In your case, perhaps so." I said simply, not allowing myself to say anything else.

Colin gestured towards a table near the large window of the shop.

"Care to join me?" He asked me.

I smiled slightly.

"I guess I can spare a few moments. We close soon anyway." I replied, folding my apron and setting it on the counter.