Pain is an Understatement

After a very painful shift, I began to close up shop. My ankle was killing me with every step I took, thus making it even harder to do my job.

"Rose?" Asked a familiar voice, "May I speak with you a moment?"

I turned to see Colin standing next to the door.

"Aren't you busy, Mr. Albernon?" I asked in a slightly harsh tone, "I hear that Americans aren't worth the time of normal humans."

His face took on a troubled look.

"Why are you acting like this?" He asked, "What have I done?"

"Nothing, Mr. Albernon. I simply request that you leave me alone."
I limped towards the coat rack, grabbing my black jacket and making my way out the door. Colin followed.

"Was it my mother?" He asked, trying to get my answers, "If so, she meant nothing by it."

"Didn't she?" I snapped, not daring to face him, "She seemed rather truthful about me and sadly I do not wish to be exposed to such words again. I know I am not a perfect person, but I have had enough of people coming into my life to merely destroy what confidence or joy I managed to muster up in the past few weeks.

"Your mother's words were as truthful as they are hurtful, Mr. Albernon. I know I am nothing like what she expects of an individual that interacts with her, but it doesn't change the fact that I have been scolded, beaten, ignored, and betrayed all of my life and I'm tired of it!"

Tears streamed down my face as I tried to walk faster.

Colin didn't say a word for a while. He simply followed beside me, studying my face.

I touched the area of my face that was badly bruised, noticing that the makeup had rubbed off completely.

"Who did this to you?" Colin asked, grabbing my arm and forcing me to stop, "Mr. Lewis?"

I shook my head.

"Not just Mr. Lewis, Mr. Albernon." I answered, "I get beaten on a weekly basis whether it be by that pathetic man or another man that I reject advancements from."

"How long has this been going on?" Colin asked, concern stitched to his words. His hesitant hand slowly reached out to touch my shoulder, "Is it painful?"

For some reason, I was angry at him for allowing his mother to speak to me the way she had, even though he had no reason to stop her. I walked away before he could respond again.

"Pain is an understatement, Mr. Albernon. None of this concerns you."

I said as I continued walking. Stubbornly, he followed.

"It does concern me, Rose,"He answered quickly, "because seeing someone treated the way that you have been is sickening. I wish there were something I could do to help you, but it seems as if you're merely pushing me away."

"You'd be correct." I said bitterly,  "Stay out of my problems, Colin. You don't need to get involved with my problems. I'm sure you already have your own."

Walking became difficult as my ankle refused to work properly. To make things worse, my vision was becoming blurred and discombobulated.

I couldn't hear Colin's response as my thoughts became jumbled. Everything soon became a dark mass as my consciousness failed.