Spilled Secrets

The next three days consisted of providing evidence that Colin could use for bailing Whitney out of jail and keeping myself awake long enough to do so.

"Rose?" Colin said as he sorted through a stack of untitled documents.

"Hmm?"

"Have you...ever felt feelings for someone...without having an explanation for having said feelings?" He asked quietly.

I gave him a confused look.

"Well, perhaps once when I was...let's say...seventeen." I answered, "I was convinced at the time that I was in love with a young man from my high school."

"Oh?" Colin commented, hinting for me to continue.

"Yes. He was the tallest, most athletic, smartest young man I had ever met." I said, "Elias Matthews, was his name. He had the most beautiful violet eyes to contribute to his sharp appearance, but I soon found out that he was pompous jerk that only wanted to be responsible for breaking a girl's heart." I scowled at the memory of that purple-eyed freak, "After Elias, I vowed never to fall in love again. Obviously it has worked well so far, as much as I know. I could be mistaken, however."

Colin stared at me as I put the remaining papers into a filing cabinet.

"You could be wrong?" He asked, "May I ask who the lucky man is that has obtained your affection?"

I smiled slightly.

"I'm not even sure if he has gained any affection from me just yet, but even if I knew that I do have feelings for him, I still wouldn't tell you."

"And why not?" Colin asked, sounding a little offended, "I would tell you about a particular woman that has caught my eye if you were to return the favor."

I shook my head. I couldn't tell him, obviously, because that young man...was him.

"He is far too high profile for me." I said at last, "He doesn't see me in such a way. It would be best for me to get over him as soon as possible." I paused a moment, "And who is this woman that you seem so infatuated by?"

Colin smirked.

"She is very beautiful and intelligent." He started, "Her voice is that of a robin in song, so it would seem. Her hair dark, but soft, and her eyes - her eyes - of a meadow in the spring."

"Quoting authors now, are we?" I asked with a chuckle, "Seriously, what is she like?"

Colin looked me in the eye.

"Although I was quoting an author, I spoke the truth either way."

I nodded slightly.

"I suppose I shall look up dark, soft haired celebrities during my down time then, since this is an interest of yours." I said with a laugh.

Colin smiled.

"Looking for a celebrity will do you no good." He said.

"Is she someone I know?" I asked, sincerely curious, "I should spill your little secret so that she will swoon faster and get it over with

"Is she someone I know?" I asked, sincerely curious, "I should spill your little secret so that she will swoon faster and get it over with."

"I honesty doubt she would swoon at my words. I have already told her and she still refuses to take a single hint or note." He answered with a shake of his head.

"Ah, I see." I said as we stood to return to my apartment, "I hope she will open her eyes one day then."

"As do I." Colin replied, holding open the door for me as we left.