FIVE

I'd been running for almost two hours and my body still wasn't worn out from the exertion. The two deers I had brought down did nothing to distract me from my lingering thoughts.

Alyssa was back in my life and I had barely given her the time of day. My wolf huffed in irritation at that fact, he'd made sure I knew he disapproved but I always made sure I was in control. Alpha or not, I couldn't let a woman come before my pack.

But wasn't that what I was doing? I let Timothy bring his daughter and made me swear to protect her, even if that meant an attack on my people. But I couldn't refuse someone who had changed my worldview so much over the years. If it wasn't for Alyssa, I would have thought all rogues were the same.

I looped back the way I came and headed for a nearby box that contained clothing. My fur changed to skin and the damp ground grew further away as I stood from my lupine form. There was no surprise on my face when I found Leah leaning against the wooden box I was headed towards. She had also recently shifted but had not bothered to cover herself just yet.

"Did you wait for me?" I asked.

I had sensed her scent when I was running but thought nothing of it as I always tended to bump into other members of my pack in our forest.

She fluttered her lashes and slowly closed the distance between us, her hips swayed provocatively and her ample breasts bounced slightly. Leah was a beautiful woman, it reminded me why I had taken interest previously on multiple occasions and indulged.

"I may have." She smiled.

Leah curled a finger around one of her dark braids and placed a hand against my chest. I allowed her hand to roam for a moment before I took both wrists in my hand and shoved them behind her. She grinned playfully and pushed her warm body against mine before leaning in to kiss my neck.

I should've taken her right there, satisfy both of our sexual needs and be done with it. I traced my fingers against her smooth dark skin, letting the whispers of my magic caress the spot between her legs. Leah's back arched in response but I released her and gently pushed her away. We'd done this many times before and never demanded anything else of each other. But this time, I knew it wouldn't be with Leah in mind.

"Not today." I shook my head.

Leah looked up puzzled, "Is something wrong?"

I walked to the wooden box and opened it. I combed through and found a dress and pair of shoes for Leah before I threw them her way.

"I've seen the way you look at that Alyssa woman, if it's her then I understand." She added when I said nothing.

I held out my hand after finding clothing for myself and she quickly dressed before taking it.

We walked out of the forest in silence and I asked if she wanted to join me and some others for drinks. She quietly declined and planted a quick peck on my cheeks before she made her way home.

After endless travelling and more endless meetings with other alphas, my mind was drained. I found Jonah and some others in my living area, a cask of beer in the middle and laughter surrounding.

"It's about time!" Jonah slapped a glass in my hand.

I took a deep drink and dropped myself onto the nearest empty chair.

"I saw that beauty you walked out of the forest with, did you?" Someone asked.

I looked across to find that it was Grant who had asked, the guard who had brought Alyssa in.

"Of course he didn't, not with Alyssa in town." Jonah grinned.

I slapped the back of his head and the others laughed.