NINE

I managed to avoid Nathaniel the following three days by going over to Gabriel's place to learn more about my inherited magic. So far I had only been able to bring a ball of light in my palm which did absolutely nothing for me.

I wanted to do something more exciting.

"It can take some time as an adult to pick up on your magical energy, don't fret." Gabriel smiled when I let out another sigh of frustration.

"I was expecting to progress a lot faster than this." I huffed.

Before I could try the chant I had been given again, my phone buzzed in my back pocket. I fished it out and swallowed when I saw the caller ID.

This was the first time Nate had called me.

"Are you gonna answer that?"

Butterflies filled my stomach before putting the phone to my ear.

"Yes?"

"Alyssa." He almost sounded relieved.

"Nate," I responded.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you, will you see me at my office?"

My brows furrowed in interest but I didn't ask further questions.

"Sure."

We both hung up at the same time and I sent an apologetic smile to my cousin.

"It's fine, we can raincheck."

"You're the best." I beamed.

I shouted goodbye to Esther who was in the room next to us and I heard a quiet response before I rushed back. The house was empty save for the housekeeper who was pottering about in the kitchen.

I approached the office door and knocked twice before letting myself in. Nate's broad back was facing me and I couldn't help but watch the way the muscles beneath his pale blue t-shirt shifted as she shrugged into his grey hoodie.

He turned to face me and I waited for him to speak first, trying to keep the curiosity from my expression.

We had barely exchanged any words in the past few days, what had changed?

"You're to accompany me to this next visit. The Ancient council requested that you might see something I wouldn't."

"And what exactly are you looking for?" I asked.

"The celestial stone."

I almost choked in surprise. That stone hadn't been mentioned for years.

"You have reason to believe my uncle is still looking for it?"

"Still?" Nate's grey eyes flashed in surprise.

I bit back the urge to answer sarcastically.

"You know if you had asked for my help earlier, maybe you could have gotten to the bottom of whatever you've been struggling with quicker." I crossed my arms.

His jaw clenched in irritation and I rolled my eyes. Males and their egos.

"I didn't want to put you in harm's way." He said.

I scoffed but said nothing. Too many unspoken thoughts passed between us but there was no time to voice them.

"I'll go get my coat, then."

I had thought my uncle abandoned his search for the celestial stone, passing it off as a myth. But if it was on the council's radar once more, it meant word had been spreading of it's possible whereabouts.