Twelve

I wrapped my cardigan around me as I cuddled into the couch, just staring at the carpeted floor, my mind a million miles away

I wrapped my cardigan around me as I cuddled into the couch, just staring at the carpeted floor, my mind a million miles away. I really should be getting dressed for the ballet recital, but it's really the last thing I wanted to do. Get ready to go to a gathering where I'll most likely run into the one person who could possibly ruin my cover. I cover my face with my hands and groan quietly to myself. And to top it off, I basically fucked over any type of relationship I could have had with Parker. He was in the bedroom right now, tinkering with his laptop. I could hear faint curses coming form the room, but I didn't think my inquiries would be welcomed.

Since I got back, and the whole deadly silent ride back to the hotel, there was one ever present thought nagging at the back of my mind. Was it truly a coincidence that Nickolas was Zane's partner? That he was a part of the very company I was investigating. I fidget with my nails, for once nervous about a mission. How would I explain my presence  to Nickolas? And would he believe me? Or would he rat me out to Zane, expose me and my dirty laundry.

It was a chance I'd have to take. I've never backed out of a mission in all the years I've worked in this career path. Every mission I accept is bound to be a sure-fire success. Doesn't mean I don't hit any bumps along the way. I'd just have to consider Nickolas a bump. My heart leaps at the thought of hearing his voice after all this time.

This was anything but a good idea.

"I've modified your earpiece." Parker stands at the edge of the couch stoically, holding out my earpiece. It didn't look any different. I look at it, then up at him. His eyes as guarded, that spark extinguished by the waterfall of words that had poured from my mouth earlier. If I could, would I take them back? I had no idea. Maybe this space between us is exactly what we need. In this career path, getting too close to someone is deadly, no matter who they are. I don't meet his gaze as I take the small device from his hand.

"Modified it?" I ask, examining it with a frown on my lips. He nods.

"It now has a tiny camera that I added. All you need to do is turn your head towards what you want me to see, and it'll stream automatically. I'll be able to see what your seeing," He tells me, then before I can say something else, he hurries back into the bedroom. I watch him go, wondering why my whole body felt like it weighed a ton. Maybe it's the weight of the tension that's suddenly built up between us. I'd basically thrown his feelings for me back into his face. But I couldn't accept them, not with him being in the same damn building as me. Even without any idea how close or how far he is, I know he's here. I can feel it.

I curse my stupid heart, wishing it would just learn the lesson and move on.

I put the earpiece in, then check my phone for the millionth time. I really should be getting ready. Instead of sulking in the self hatred and guilt, I follow Parker into the bedroom. I don't waste time. Quickly, my dress is in my hands, along with my heels and bra and I hurry into the washroom to change. It's a shimmery silver floor length gown with lace sleeves that reach down to my elbows and a sweetheart neckline.  All I need to do is curl my hair slightly, then apply minimal makeup. With dresses this intricate, it's best to keep makeup simple. Too much and people don't know where to look. I slip on a silver chair around my neck, the one present from Nickolas I had kept. I hoped he wouldn't remember it, but I really didn't bring any accessories with me. After slipping my heels on, I walk out of the bathroom a little timid.