Nineteen

"Where are we going?" Parker asks, securing his seat belt.

We may be criminals, but safety first. After a few minutes of driving around, and checking my mirror multiple times, I make a right and go down a dark alley. We bump along slowly, making sure to make eye contact with the several security cameras on our way. As soon as we reach the end of the alley way a garage door opens and I drive in, parking the truck and hopping out.

"Okay, is this you punishing me? I'm sorry about the bitch comment," Parker says, rounding the truck and coming to my side. I stand with my hands in my back pockets, waiting. He watches me closely for a second, then glances around. "Adrianna, say something."

"Say something, I'm giving up on you," A voice sing songs. A silhouette appears in the door way at the far end of the arena, and I grin widely. "Really, Adri, what kind of trouble are you in now? You never visit unless something's wrong," A voice says. My grin widens if possible. "In all honesty, I'm slightly offended." The dark haired woman stands in front of me, smiling brightly. Her hair is cropped in it's usual pixie cut and her petite frame reminds me a little of a grungy tinker bell. Dark eyeliner and tattoos dot up and down her bare arms, reminders of her past, and hope for the future. She looks at me with a mixture of amusement and curiosity set into her bright amber eyes.

"Nothing of my doing, Nessa. You know how trouble just seems to follow me," I tell the shorter woman, hugging her quickly and turning to introduce Parker. "This is my current partner in crime, Parker. We're-" I think it over for a second. "-colleagues."

"Colleagues. Huh. I know trouble when I see it, missy, and it's strapped right to your hip," Nessa says, one hand on her hip and the other pointing at Parker. He smiles sheepishly, giving me a look. Nessa smiles slightly. "Oh, but isn't trouble handsome."

"Nice to meet you, Nessa. Lovely eyes you've got." He tells her, giving her a dazzling smile, and taking her hand. He presses a small kiss to it, then drops it.

"Oh, a flirt, huh? Definitely trouble," She chuckles. "Keep your eye on this one, Adri."

I giggle, shaking my head. Nessa was like a mother to me. I'd met her on one of my past missions, when she had been attempting - and failing - to hack into the servers of the Cambodian Embassy. I cross my arms over my chest. "What do you think of my ride? Worth anything?" I ask. Nessa eyes the vehicle, and shrugs.

She circles it, inspecting it. Opening a door she takes a peek inside. Looks under the hood. "Doesn't have too much miles on it. From what I can tell it's pretty clean, but I'd have to inspect the engine more. I'd say nothing more than ten thousand." I sigh.

"I knew I should have taken the Mustang. Anyway, it's yours. I've got bigger fish to deal with. Like the people who kidnapped us."

"Listen, I don't think they'll be coming back, we don't need to go after them. They're just-"

"They obviously targeted us, Parker. This isn't just a random kidnapping. They know who we're looking into, that has to be why they took us. I just hope they didn't manage to get anything from those blueprints," I mutter to him fiercely. He frowns at me, furrowing his brow. Nessa watches us curiously.

"Adrianna-"

"Adrianna, do you remember the street that you were on? It might help us narrow down the search by a lot," Nessa says, tugging on my arm. I turn towards her, walking swiftly away from a slightly guilty looking Parker. But why was he guilty?

Parker's actions are quickly pushed to the back of my mind as I confidently hurry down the steps, making sure of the gun tucked in the waist band of my jeans.