Twenty Three

I sit at the long conference table, my fingertips together and my elbows planted on the armrests of my chair. The wall across from me is completely made up of glass, the city below in perfect view. Two of the other walls are painted a deep blue while the third - looking into the hallway - is also made of glass. The smell of coffee hangs in the air, mixed with the smell of printed paper and the sounds of bustling. I turn my gaze to Zane who stands at the head of the room, saying something about sales in Western Europe or the like.

Killian eyes me from the other side of the table. I know what he wants from me. He wants another chance, and I'm not sure I will ever be able to give it to him. I turn my gaze away and instead try to focus on Zane's speech.

"I want each of you to pitch your ideas to me on Monday, please be prepared," He tells the people gathered as everyone gathers their papers. The sun outside is beginning to set, and I was regretting agreeing to this tour of the company.

"So, Adrianna, what did you think of the good ol' nine to five," Killian asks, leaning forward on the table. I smile widely at him.

"I prefer my odd hours," I tell him. Zane laughs from the head of the table as he organizes his papers. I can hardly believe this man capable of funding terrorist organizations.

"It's an acquired taste for sure," He tells me, smiling lightly. Killian's gaze stays steady on me as I stand up, picking up my purse in the process. I adjust my blazer and turn to Zane.

"It's definitely been an eye-opening experience, and I thank you for letting me tag along for the day. It's nice to know the goings on in the company," I tell him, heading towards him. He nods.

"You're welcome anytime, Adrianna, you're a partner, after all." He smiles at me.

I smile at him, then open my purse, making a show of looking through it. I frown to myself, placing the thing on the table and looking through all the pockets. Zane watches me, frowning slightly, and I dare not look to Killian's own expression.

"Is everything alright?" Zane asks from my right. I glance up at him, frowning deeply.

"I think I lost my pho- Oh!" I look at him sheepishly. "I think I left it in your office," I tell him, running a hand through my hair. "Do you mind?"

"I'll take her, I know you've got another meeting in ten minutes," Killian says, stepping towards us. Zane nods, turning to his papers.

"Thank you, I'll text Felicity to let her know to let you two in," He tells us, typing on his phone. "I'll see you in a week's time at the annual Olympic Ball, Adrianna. I'm sorry for not having any time to see each other before then," Zane tells me, nodding his head at me.

"I understand a busy schedule, Zane. I'll see you," I smile, then turn and head out the door. Killian follows on my heels.

I push my hair over my shoulder as my heels clack against the tiled floor.

"Adrianna, you shouldn't have come," Killian hisses, catching up to me. I turn my gaze to the brown haired man, raising my eyebrows.

"Why not, I feel fine," I shoot back, narrowing my eyes at him. We reach the elevators, and Killian presses the button to call it. The hallway is empty, but the sound of many voices could be heard down the hallway to our left. I keep my gaze steadily on Killian, waiting for him to crack first. And he does. He looks away as the elevator door dings.

"You were shot four days ago, you should be healing. In bed." He snaps, frowning as he pushes the button to Zane's floor.

"If I had stayed, we wouldn't have this opportunity to search his office," I whisper, stepping closer to Killian. His scent of musk and something spicy reach my nose, and I have half a mind to take another step closer, just to find out what the smell is. But I cross my arms, waiting patiently for the doors to open.