Twenty

"Explain," Nessa demands, eyes narrowed and her arms crossed over her chest. Parker stands for a second, observing the photo in front of him on the screen of the tablet. He sighs, and runs a hand through his hair, looking up at me.

"He's my mother's half-brother, technically, but none-the-less, my uncle," Parker says, looking between us. "He's Irish mafia. Very powerful. A few years ago I got into some nasty business with them, and they didn't like the outcome," He shrugs, but something tells me there's a lot more to this story. "I suppose they're still after me," He mutters, looking away. "And I also might have taken off with a considerable sum of money."My mind goes back a few months, when we were just starting this job together. The woman who'd appeared in my apartment, looking like she'd just walked out of a business magazine. I narrow my eyes at him, but he doesn't meet my gaze.

"After you? So this has nothing to do with the mission?" I ask him, frowning slightly. He shakes his head. "Then why did you let me believe that it did!" I snap, my frown deepening. Parker's eyes remain fixed on something far away, and I know he's far too gone in his own memories to be of any help at the moment. I take a step towards him, and grab his shoulder. He jumps slightly and looks down at me. "Will they be coming back? Are they coming for us?"

This brings Parker out of his reverie completely. "You've no part in this, Adrianna. This is between me and O'Donnel. I did somethings I shouldn't have, and it's time for me to pay the price," he tells me, smiling sadly.

Pay the price?

I blink up at him, my mind racing. What was that even supposed to mean? Pay the price of what? And how? With his life? I'd only just begun to finally accept someone into my life and fate decides it's time to tear them out of it? That's just cruel. But this is no time to think emotionally. If Parker were to get out of this, we need a plan. And fast.

I turn on my heel and head towards Nessa, who was hovering over a desktop with Javier, looking something over.

"Nessa," I call to her. She looks up, raising an eyebrow.

"Was there something else you needed?" She asks, placing a hand on her hip.

"Yes, look-"

"Adrianna, I don't want any part in this. Where the Irish Mafia is involved, I'd prefer to stay far away," She winces, looking at me sadly. "There is no love lost between us. You know this," She practically whispers to me. I nod at her. Nessa's past is no secret to me.

"I know, Nessa, but I need information about this man. If he's coming after Parker-" She cuts me off with a look. I narrow my eyes at her. "What?" I snap sharply.

"Since when does Parker matter so much to you?" She asks. "He's a big boy, he can handle this himself."

"He matters because-" I hesitate for a split second. "Because I need him for my mission. He's vital to me, right now. I cannot loose him, not when I'm so close to finishing," I pause for a second, then narrow my eyes at the dark haired woman. "Don't look me like that, Nessa." She has her eyebrow raised, tilting her head at me slightly. I frown at her.

"Right. Vital to you. " She shakes her head, and leans in close to me. "Adrianna, you should learn from you past mistakes, not repeat them," She tells me, then walks off, in the direction of Taghrid's desk. I watch her silently, kicking myself for being so transparent. I'm an assassin, for God's sake, I should be a professional liar. I sigh. Did I actually have feelings for the homme fatale? Not possible, I'm just lonely, looking for whoever looked my way to run to for comfort. Deep in my heart I know I'm not completely over Nickolas - if that man even exists.

"Adrianna," I turn to find Parker standing behind me, hands in his pockets. He looks at me sheepishly, and for the first time I notice dried blood on the corner of his nose. I frown slightly, and reach up to scrape it off. He grabs my arm and lowers it, taking my hand and lacing our fingers. Those pine green eyes search my face for a moment, then he opens his mouth. "I can't have you push yourself into this, it's too dangerous. The Mafia is on a whole different level than these elementary missions you go on. Please, stay out of it. I can handle this," He promises me, taking a step closer to me.