Ch. Eleven

I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off of my face as I got out of the shower Thursday morning. I dried my hair and got dressed in a purple blouse and a pair of simple blue skinny jeans and slipped on my purple Converse. I straightened my hair and put on light makeup before deciding that I looked okay. Jeesh, high school really was rubbing off on me. 

I went downstairs and met Luke in the kitchen like usual and grinned at him. "Morning, Luke." I chirped.

He gave me a confused look but a small smile on his face. "Uh, good morning. What's got you all-" He paused and then smiled larger. "Oh, right."

I just giggled in response. 

"Well it's good to see you so happy." He sighed, jumping off of the bar stool that he was on, but I could hear the worry in his voice.

"Luke, I'll be fine. Promise." I said firmly.

He looked at me. "C'mon, let's go."

"You can't just be happy for me?" I whined.

"I can't help the way that I feel, Linds. I am happy for you, but I'm also worried for you. I'm trying to be all happy for you and shit, but it's not my fault that you can read my mind." He explained.

I sighed and followed him out the door. "Yeah, yeah."

"Are you riding with me still?" Luke asked.

"Yup." I chirped, popping the 'p' and getting into the back of his car. 

"Alright." He sighed, getting in the drivers seat and taking off down the street towards Jack's house.

He pulled up in front of his house. Luke honked the horn a few times, but Jack still wasn't appearing through the door. 

"Little fucker." Luke muttered, pulling out his cell phone. I would suggest that we just don't go to school today, but I wanted to see Adam. Is that pathetic? 

"What the fuck. He's not even answering." Luke grunted. "Can you go get him?"

"What? Why me?" I asked incredulously.

"I don't want to turn off the car. Please?" He whined.

I rolled my eyes. "Fine." I got out of the car and hurried towards the house. It was a nice house, the same size as ours with a few cars in the drive.

I knocked on the door and nobody answered, but I could hear yelling through the door. It wasn't Jack, though. I knocked, louder this time. Still, no answer.

I tried opening the door and it was unlocked, so I opened it and stepped inside the door. There was a middle aged man and woman in the living room, yelling profusely at each other. Both of their faces were red, enhancing their leathery skin and wrinkles.

"Excuse me." I said politely, but they didn't hear me over their yelling. I repeated myself over three times, growing louder with each useless attempt.

I was quickly losing patience, I wanted to go see Adam for shits sake, I don't want to waste my time hunting down Luke's friend.

"Shut up!" I screeched, making both of them stop their yapping and look over at me.

"Who are you?" One of them spat.

I ignored his question. "Is Jack coming to school or not?" I snapped.

"Uh, no. He's, uh, sick. I'm sorry are you his girlfriend?" The lady asked in a flustered manner.

I rolled my eyes and turned to leave but stopped when I heard Jack's voice coming down the stairs.