chapter two || beautiful babies

"Alright, shh, it's okay," Lauren soothed, placing the car seat on the doorstep while she unlocked the door to her house and pushed it open, taking Normani's seat into her grasp once again as she stepped inside.

The house was dark aside from the few nightlights upstairs. Mindful of her step, Lauren took the stairs up to the second floor and moved for the master bedroom.

Once again, she left Normani's car seat at the door and approached her wife and daughter, gently kissing Dinah's head before she kissed Ally and gave her a slight shake.

"Baby."

"Lo?" Ally groaned, holding Dinah a bit closer to her chest.

"I need help with something. Can you please put on a shirt and meet me in the hallway?"

Ally, who was still coming around, didn't see her wife holding a sleeping girl, nor did she see the woman grab something at the door and move out of the room again.

The shorter woman sleepily set the two-year-old in the middle of the bed, setting pillows on either side of her before she threw her shirt on again and stood up.

She shuffled out into the hallway and shut the door behind her, looking to her wife and finally taking in what was in her arms.

"Lauren?" She asked, making the woman shush her. "What's going on?" She asked a bit softer this time.

"There were girls in the home, Al. Their dad shot their mom in the head in front of them. I couldn't leave them at the station. Not after what they saw tonight."

Ally, who was struggling to process everything, snapped her head to the car seat when she heard little whimpers.

Her mama-bear instincts kicked and she was on her knees, unclipping the baby and pulling her to her chest, instantly calming her.

"Just for tonight, Al. I promise, I will get something sorted out for them tomorrow, I just want to keep them safe for tonight."

"Alright," the woman relented, cooing to the baby in her arms. "Let's get them set up in Dinah's crib."

"Wait, they need baths," Lauren said, stopping her wife from heading to Dinah's room.

"Why?"

"The blood splattered on them," the younger woman said, feeling a heavy lump in her throat. She felt sick thinking about it now.

"Poor babies," Ally whispered, rubbing the back of the girl in her arms. "Why don't you get her rinsed off in the tub while I get this little one wiped down."

"Sounds good. Thanks for understanding, babe."

Ally hummed in acknowledgment and moved to the bathroom, turning the dimmer of the lights down so it wasn't too harsh on the girl's eyes.

"What're their names?" Ally asked as she laid Normani on the counter between the sinks, carefully pulling the blood-stained onsie off of the baby's body.

"You've got Normani, and this is Camila. They're step-cousins, but they were raised as sisters," Lauren explained, flipping on the water to the tub before undressing Camila who was slowly coming around.

"How old?"

"Camila is four and she said that Normani is one."

Ally cocked an eyebrow, slipping off the baby's diaper before she gently cupped her chin and lifted the baby's lip to look at her mouth.

"She's not one."

"What?" Lauren asked as she gently set a half-asleep Camila in the tub, offering the girl a bath toy to play with while she began to wet her with a cup of water.