chapter fourteen || forever and always

"Hi, mom. Hi, dad," Lauren greeted with a wide smile as she stepped aside to let her parents in.

"Hi, baby. How are you?" Clara asked as she wrapped her daughter in a hug.

"I'm good. How're you guys doing?"

"We're good. Your mother has been going crazy wanting to meet our new grandbabies, though," Mike said as he hugged Lauren after his wife.

"Like you haven't," Clara said, hitting Mike's arm. "I am mad at you, though," the older woman said, pointing at Lauren.

"What? Why?" Lauren asked, taking her parents things to put on the stairway handrail.

"Because you let your brother meet Camila and Normani before I did," Clara said, making Lauren pause for a moment to remember when that happened before nodding her head.

"Ohh. Yeah. In my defense, Ikea furniture is hard to build."

"I'm still mad."

"Well, you won't be for long," Lauren said, hearing the running feet of Dinah.

"Ita! Ito!" the toddler exclaimed, running towards her grandparents. Lauren laughed at Dinah's half attempt at saying 'abuelita' and 'abuelito' before leaving them to say hello while she went to get Camila and Normani.

"Did she eat?" Lauren asked when she walked into the kitchen and saw her wife set the bottle down with a defeated sigh.

"Nope. Maybe later," the shorter woman said, wiping the edges of Normani's mouth with a burp cloth before she adjusted her in her arms and stood up. "Let's go say hi to your abuelita and abuelito."

"Camila, do you think you can meet some new people?" Lauren asked, crouching by her daughter who was playing with her new toy.

"Who is it?" The girl asked, not looking up from her lion.

"My parents. They're Dinah's abuelito and abuelita."

"Do I have to?" Camila asked quietly, looking up to Lauren and meeting her gaze. It was only starting to dawn on Lauren that Camila was getting better at looking them in the eye.

"They're really excited to meet you."

Camila chewed her lip unsurely before nodding lightly and allowing Lauren to grasp her hand and lead her to the entrance of the house.

When she returned to her parents she was met with the sight of her dad playfully tossing Dinah in the air while her mom cooed over the baby in her arms.

"Look at her nose," Clara whispered as she fondly ran her finger over the bridge of Normani's button nose.

"You should hear her sneeze," Ally said, making her mother-in-law somehow melt even more.

"I could just squeeze her."

"Don't go breaking my baby, mom," Lauren playfully warned, gaining the attention of her parents who both glanced down at Camila almost immediately after.

"And who might this princess be?" Mike asked, settling Dinah on his hip before carefully approaching Camila and crouching down to seem less intimidating.

"Mom, dad, this is Camila. Camila, these are my parents," Lauren introduced, unsure whether she should get the little one to call the older couple by their names or Ito and Ita like Dinah did.

"You can call me Ito like Dinah does," Mike said, making the girl nod lightly as she tucked herself closer to Lauren's leg.

"And you can call me Ita," Clara said, making the tiny Latina look her way. "Camila, do you like cookies, sweetheart?"