chapter six || blank space

"Hey, babe," Lauren said, walking into the living room where Ally sat with Normani fast asleep on her chest. The baby was proving to grow attached to the shorter woman, having burst into tears every time the woman tried to set her in her crib, ultimately leading them to where they are now.

"Hey, did the girls go down okay?" Ally asked.

"Yeah. Camila wanted to stay up a bit longer so I let her watch a movie on my iPad."

"Lauren, that's not good for her," Ally sighed, making her wife laugh lightly.

"The movie will only last until 10pm. Besides, it's not like she'll make it that long."

"Alright, but just for tonight," Ally said, Lauren nodded her agreement as she sat next to her wife and set the files she held onto the coffee table. "What's that?"

"The social worker assigned to the girls gathered all the info he could on the two. So their birth certificates, their medical records. Stuff like that. I was wondering if you wanted to look through it with me," Lauren said, making the woman nod. "Who should we start with?"

"Probably Camila. It's the thickest one," Ally said, grabbing the larger file and handing it to her wife who flipped it open to reveal the girl's birth certificate.

"So, it says here that her legal birth name was Karla Camila Cabello Estrabao. She was born March 3rd, 2014. She weighed 6 pounds 3 ounces."

"She was tiny," Ally cooed, making her wife laugh.

"In comparison to DJ, for sure," Lauren agreed, laughing as well before she continued. "She's Cuban American – thought so."

"Aww, I've always wanted another Cuban. You know, so you wouldn't feel lonely," Ally said.

"Thanks, babe," Lauren said with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh my goodness, a baby picture!" Ally squealed quietly, reaching for the image poking out behind the certificate.

Lauren flipped the page and grabbed the attached picture, smiling herself at the little black and white photo of baby Camila.

"This picture has literally stolen my heart," Ally said, her eyes stuck on the photo as she ran her fingers over Normani's back to keep the baby asleep

Lauren hummed an agreement, turning her attention to the medical records that she was scanning over.

"Oh man," the woman sighed, scratching the back of the neck. This seemed to snap Ally from her gushing, making her look to the file again with furrowed eyebrows.

"Everything alright?"

"There's a blank space."

"What?"

"A whole two years are missing, see? We've got everything up to January 2015, then nothing up until March 2017."

"Maybe she was a healthy baby," Ally suggested.