Brain v. Numbers

"Shikamaru, Shino, you know the rules although in your cases I will NOT be accepting white flags." Asuma said, with the last part aimed at Shikamaru.
"How troublesome." Shikamaru replied as he took a slouched stance.
"My bugs and I will win." Shino muttered.
"BEGIN!"
The genins and sensei watched as both Shino and Shikamaru jumped back gaining distance between the two. Shikamaru folding his hands and squatting while Shino was gathering chakra.
"Asuma, what is your kid doing?" Gai asked.
"He's thinking." Naruto said.
"Y-yeah what Naruto said."
"Asuma-sensei?"
"Yes Chouji?"
"Who do you think will win? I mean, both of them are distance fighters. Neither is big on hand to hand combat, so who do you think will win?" The genin asked.
  "I'm not sure. Shikamaru is a strategist, he's always a few steps ahead of any opponent he faces. Shino on the other hand, is built for distance fighting, his bugs are almost a perfect defense and attack mechanism. It could really be anyone's win." Asuma replied.
  It was quiet as everyone watched the two boys. The first to make a move was surprisingly the Nara, as he charged to engage Shino in a taijutsu battle. They met hit for hit, neither gaining the upper hand. Shikamaru found an opening and aimed a chakra infused kick, only to hit a clone made of bugs. Knowing of the bug user's abilities, Shikamaru quickly jumped back and tried to pick off any bugs that had managed to cling to him.
  "It's no use, Shikamaru, my bugs will not be deterred from their job by your swatting hands."
  "It looks like the fight has already been decided." Naruto muttered.
  "What do you mean, Naruto. They're both still standing, so how can the fight have been decided?" Sakura asked.
  " Shikamaru is more suited for team fighting. His mind keeps him a few steps ahead, plus in order to catch his opponent off guard to use his technique, he needs to create a diversion or have someone be his diversion. While neither has fallen, unless Shikamaru can catch Shino in his shadow possession jutsu, he'll just be sucked of chakra to the point where he won't be able to continue fighting." Kakashi said, before Naruto could speak.
"Yeah, what Kakashi-sensei said." Naruto muttered.
  Everyone turned back to the fight in time to see Shino caught off guard by a simple substitution jutsu.
  "Shadow possession jutsu!" Everyone heard from behind the young Aburame.
  "Complete..." Shikamaru muttered.
  They watched as the Nara jumped over his opponent, still holding the jutsu. As the two mimicked one another's movements, Shikamaru grabbed a shuriken getting ready to aim it, before he began to feel sluggish.
  "Hn..." Shino smirked as the Nara's clan jutsu was released.
  "SENSEI WHAT JUST HAPPENED!" Ino yelled.
  "Isn't it obvious..." Began Shino,
"My bugs have been feeding off of his chakra since the beginning of the match and he never noticed. As soon as Asuma-sensei said to start, I had sent out a few of my bugs undetected and they've slowly been draining Shikamaru. I'm actually surprised he lasted long enough to perform that jutsu." Shino said as Shikamaru fainted.
  "Winner...Shino Aburame." Asuma said as Kiba and Naruto carried Shikamaru to the sidelines.
  "Well that was boring." Tenten muttered gaining nods from a few other genin.
  "What did you expect to happen with these two. If anything Shikamaru didn't try his hardest and as Kakashi stated he is more suited to team fighting." Kurenai said smiling at Shino.
  "If Shika had been fighting with any one of us, even if Shino had a fighting partner as well he would have one. He's grown up knowing it would be his job to lead and to learn how his styles work with others but he's never thought of his style on its own. That's why Shino one." Naruto said looking at his sleeping friend.
  The others nodded in agreement ready for the next match.

Hey guys, so this fight was extremely short seeing as it's hard to write a scene where both fighters rarely fight alone. I've decided to skip over Tenten and Chouji and I'm working on Hinata and Neji's fight scene. If you want Tenten's fight let me know. Until next time bye 🙋🙋🙋.