CHAPTER 7

'Cara, wake up,' Rocco cradled Alina in his arms, he tapped her face, none too gently. 'Cara---tesoro per-favore,' Rocco burst into a spiel of Italian, begging her forgiveness, promising not to be angry with her anymore, if she would just answer him.

Alina blinked, her eyelids fluttered open.  Everybody was upside down. Every one of her staff was staring up at her. She wished Rocco would shut up.
My restaurant!

Alina shook her head and sprung up. 'Rocco, they want us out. They've sold the place. We can't operate here anymore. Oh Rocco---.'

'Alina!' Rocco's voice rose to silence her. He opened the refrigerator, took out a bottle of water and forced her to drink. 'Back to work everybody,' Rocco waved his hand and led Alina back to her office.

'Now, please speak slowly,' Rocco nodded. Tell me from the beginning.'

'The agent, he said the place has been sold. The new owner wants three times the rent we are paying---we can't afford that. He said the buyer has offered him a lot of money, apparently---apparently---'

'Yes?' Rocco waved his hand impatiently.

'They want to turn this place into an ---adult club,' Alina's cheeks brightened profusely.

Rocco swore in perfect English. She never knew he was that proficient. He turned around and faced Alina with a determined look.

'I have---savings. It is not much, but it can see us through for six months at least.'

'Rocco---no,' she shook her head. 'What they're demanding is extortion. We shall not do it. 'Oh no,' she covered her face. 'We have bookings for the next six months. We have spent so much in advertising. If we move, what if we lose our clientele?'

'That's why we must use my savings. I can go to the bank for more---.'

'No, no. We can't borrow more. I have already taken out a loan, when we extended the dining area and I still need to pay Caroline back.'

'We must,' Rocco shook her shoulders. Alina stared into his face. The restaurant was her responsibility. When did it become "we?" Perhaps she was too dependent on Rocco. Perhaps she was being unfair loading more on his shoulders than was advisable.

'I will sort this out,' Alina stood up with grim determination. 'Just let me make some calls, you go ahead with today's preparations. She called her bank manager, praying, hoping he would be sympathetic, but he was at pains to point out that she was over extended and as much as he would love to bail her out, the bank had specific criteria and he did not have the authorization to over-rule the system. Alina nodded, not that he could see her nod, but she thanked him for his time and ended the call.

Fear was beginning to grip Alina. Every bank she called, informed her, her risk exposure was too high. Damn, damn, damn it! It was like some evil force was working against her. She was loathe to go to the moneylenders, but now she was running out of options. Fear was beginning to consume her. She could not focus. She could not breathe. Think, think. Finding other premises was not an option. It would be suicidal. She had worked so hard to build her clientele. This was the ideal location. A different location may not be sustainable.

When the phone rang, she prayed one of the bankers had changed their minds.

'Alina Brooke, good afternoon.'

'Cara,' that seductive voice made her forget her woes. Was it therapeutic or hypnotising?
'I am reliably informed you are in need of a financial life line.'

'How did you know?' Alina demanded.

'My industry is rather small, we share information,' she could sense him smiling.