CHAPTER 24

Alina’s eyes shifted from Gustav’s accusing eyes to her husband’s.  She tried to read the expression on Tomas’ face but he was giving nothing away.  The only telltale sign of any emotion was that rapid pulse beating on his cheek.  Again Alina’s eyes shifted back to Gustav.  There was a glint in his eyes as if he’s scored a significant point against an adversary.  There were a thousand questions running through Alina’s mind, she tried to follow the tense exchange between Tomas and Gustav, only she could not understand, for Gustav conveniently switched to Greek.

‘So you didn’t tell your wife how you broke my heart, typical of you,’ Gustav accused in Greek.

Alina’s eyes were fixed on Tomas.  Whatever Gustav had spoken, she could tell from the tension emanating from Tomas’ body that he was being challenged about something. 

‘Somebody should have taught you Gustav,’ Tomas responded in kind in Greek, ‘you should let a girl know, if you have an interest in her.’

‘But you knew!’ Gustav accused, interrupting Tomas.

‘I knew you liked every girl in a revealing skirt---.’

‘Could you speak in English?’ Alina’s voice rose above the two men, who only suddenly seemed to become aware of her presence in the room.  Tomas looked at his wife.  That pulse throbbed again at his cheek.

‘Tomas?’ Alina questioned her husband.  ‘You stole Gustav’s fiancée?’

From the corner of Alina’s eyes, she could see a smirk plastered across Gustav’s face.  It disappeared from his face when Alina’s eyes returned to Gustav, whilst she waited for her husband to respond.  She turned again to her husband, her eyes searching, hoping he would put her out of her misery.

‘I am guilty of no such thing cara, and neither did the girl in question for that matter know that Gustav had any interest in her.’

‘But I told you, I am going to propose to my girl.  I invited you to bring a date and who do you bring?’  Gustav answered, when Tomas remained silent.  ‘The very girl I wanted to propose to and, ‘Gustav’s eyes locked with Alina’s.  ‘She only had eyes for him,’ he pointed an accusing finger at Tomas.  ‘She did not even look at me once the entire night.  He stole my girl!’

‘Who is this girl?’ Alina demanded.  Tomas did not bother to respond to his wife.

‘Katy Tsidiki,’ Gustav mumbled.  ‘She works in his finance division,’ Gustav again pointed angrily at Tomas.

Alina looked at her husband.  Did he steal his uncle’s girl?  It was not making sense to her.  ‘Tomas?’ She questioned her husband.

‘A little more than a year ago, I was here in the local branch of my company for a week. Gustav,’ he looked at his uncle, ‘came to see me in the office on the first evening. I was working late, inspecting the balance sheet with Katy.  We had a few drinks and we all left separately.  I was tired and went home.’

Alina nodded.  She believed Tomas.  He would not lie, she knew that for certainty.

‘I was in meetings the entire week outside the office,’ Tomas continued.  ‘I did not know Gustav was returning to my office everyday keeping Katy from her job,’ Tomas glared at his uncle.  Gustav looked away guiltily. 

‘On the last night, I was to leave, Gustav invited me to dinner and asked me to bring a date.  Katy was in my office, when I took the call.  I invited her to the dinner.  When I got to the restaurant, with Katy, I could tell Gustav was fuming.  When I asked him what was wrong, he said, “Off all the girls in Greece, could I not have chosen any other girl, except this one, according to Gustav, she could not keep her eyes of me, but I did not get that impression,’ Tomas stated.