CHAPTER 23

'Aunt Alina! Aunt Alina!' Toe-muz is taking me to Greece!'

'I know,' Alina laughed softly as she descended the stairs with her suitcase.

'I'll take that cara,' Tomas beamed happily. 'You should have left it upstairs. I would have brought it down,' he scolded.

'Oh it' not too heavy,' she protested. 'Just a few items.'

'Is this it? Just one suitcase?' Tomas queried, admiring her slim fitting white travelling pants and blue sailor style blouse.

'Yes,' she murmured. 'You said three days.' She had even packed two extra outfits, incase Tomas decided to go out during one of the evenings.

'Mama always has at least three suitcases, even if it's just one day,' he laughed boyishly. He seemed so relaxed, carefree and ... adorable. Instinctively her hand reached out to cup his face, her lips brushed his softly.

'Eew, you're doing that again,' Emily protested. Her hands on her hips as she pulled her face at the adults, ignoring her presence in the foyer. Alina laughed and pulled away, even as Tomas attempted to detain her in his arms.

'Let me see if Caroline needs any help,' Alina reluctantly left Tomas at the foot of the staircase.

'Hey sis,' Alina breezed into Caroline's room. 'Need any help?'

'Alina, oh yes please,' she laughed. 'I can't believe Tomas is taking us to Greece.'

'I know,' Alina repeated as she did to Emily. 'And it was all his idea,' Alina smiled.

'You have married a truly wonderful man Alina. God bless his good heart.'

On days like today, I agree with your sentiment.

Inhaling first, Alina replied, 'he does have a generous heart,' she chuckled. Now how can I help?'

'Can you grab the suitcases from up there?' Caroline pointed. 'Emily's clothes are on her bed, if you can just pack that please. Should I carry a jacket?'

'Yes, just in case,' Alina nodded. 'I'm going to finish Emily's packing.' She added some story books, toys and other items just to keep Emily occupied on the plane and carried Emily's suitcase to the entrance hall, only to find Shay standing there with her suitcase.

'Where are you going?' Alina questioned, without even a greeting.

'To Greece,' Shay answered smugly.

'I don't need you to accompany us,' Alina answered with a trace of annoyance.

'I requested Shay to accompany us,' Tomas spoke from behind Alina. There was a self satisfied smile plastered across Shay's face. Alina's body prevented Tomas from seeing Shay's gleaming face.

Alina turned around to face Tomas, 'there's no need,' she murmured.

Tomas smiled. He closed the distance between them. His knuckle caressed her cheek. 'Cara, when will you take advantage of the resources at your disposal,' he teased.

She lowered her head, not wanting Tomas to see she did not want Shay accompanying them.

'I can manage,' she answered softly.

'I thought Caroline could benefit from Shay's assistance,' Tomas added.

How could she have been so selfish and forgotten her sister's disability? Even if she and Shay could not stand each other, Caroline and Emily did like Shay. Alina allowed her eyes to meet the evil Shay's. Her arms were folded, she raised her chin triumphantly. Alina wanted to dig here eyes out. Instead, she lifted her eyes to Tomas' face.