CHAPTER 20

Alina shut her eyes, holding back the tears. What the hell was she crying for? She tried to shut it out, but Tomas' text message kept repeating in her mind's eyes. So he was staying another night? He had not even had the decency to call her; just an impersonal text had to suffice, as far as he was concerned. He hadn't spoken to her since Emily's call to him last night. Alina had thought he'd call her in the morning just to greet her, but he had not.

Did he sleep with Gabriella last night? Is that why he's extending his stay? Did he want one more night with her?

'I'm sorry Aunt Alina,' Emily knelt on Alina's lap and hugged her. 'It's only one more sleep right?' Emily pacified her aunt. How ironical was that? 'We can do it,' Emily smiled.

'Yes,' Alina blinked away the tears, so proud of her mature sounding niece who seemed to have grown up overnight. Last night it was her doing the pacifying.

'He will return,' Emily wiped the single tear pooling at Alina's eyes. 'I know he will.'

'Oh my puppet,' Alina hugged her. 'I don't know what I would ever do without you.'

'I'm not going anywhere,' Emily laughed. 'Well except to bed.'

'Thank you for the moral support,' Alina smiled. 'Why don't you take your shower?'

'Okay,' Emily kissed Alina's cheek and walked to her own room.

Alina sat there on the floor, having a pity party. Using her forearm, she swiped it over her eyes. And for no reason, the tears started to flow again and would not stop. She sobbed into the bed, wetting the duvet in the process. She should hate Tomas. Why was she wasting tears on him? 'I hate you, damn you!'

'Mrs. Casiraghi, did you say something?' Shay stood at the door, a self satisfied smirk evident on her face.

'What!' Alina stood up. She couldn't care less about her blood shot eyes, or her mascara stained face.

'I thought I heard you speak as I walked pass your bedroom,' Shay grinned wickedly. Clearly she had heard Alina say the words: "I hate you." It was also obvious she knew who Alina was venting her hatred about and Shay did not even bother to hide her absolute pleasure.

'I was talking to myself,' Alina hissed, 'and I told you not to enter my bedroom.'

'That is why I am standing at the door, Mrs. Casiraghi,' she emphasized.

'Well, run along and do whatever you get paid to do,' Alina dismissed her.

'Have a lovely evening Mrs. Casiraghi,' she smile with saccharine sweetness.

Alina locked her door and walked into her bathroom. She peeled her clothes off and in a dream like fashion stood under the freezing shower. When her teeth were chattering and her skin was covered in goose bumps she turned off the taps. She hated herself for doing it, but she walked to Tomas' wardrobe, removed one of his oversized T shirts and pulled if over her head. She missed him so much. She could not believe what an idiot she was, as if he cared two hoots about her.

The following morning when Alina got to work, Rocco knew something was wrong. Her eyes were still bloodshot. There were dark shadows under her eyes. If she slept for two hours, it was a lot.

'Cara what the hell happened?' Rocco gripped her arm tightly.

'Nothing,' she mumbled.

'Did he hurt you?'

'What!---No! Don't be silly. Tomas would never lift his hand to a woman. He's actually not even around.'

'Ah, you miss your lover in your bed last night,' Rocco laughed.