CHAPTER 19

‘You’re late cara,’ Tomas murmured in her ear, as he took her in his arms to greet her.

‘What is she doing here in our home?’ Alina demanded, totally ignoring Gabriella Ancelotti who was glaring at Alina, still in her shabby work clothes.

‘You will greet me first cara,’ his head was bowed close to her lips, his eyes mocking.

‘Good evening,’ she hissed.

‘We have to hurry caro,’ Gabriella interrupted them.

Fancy that! She calls MY husband caro!

‘You can do better than that tesoro.’

At the corner of her eye, Allina could see Gabriella impatiently tapping her red satin stiletto heel that matched her painted finger nails. She did look rather fetching in her black pleated trousers and dark silk blouse.

Off course I can do better than that.
Alina raised her arms, draping them around Tomas’ neck. She smiled seductively as she lifted her lips to his. Alina was somewhat disappointed when Gabriella turned away to answer her mobile.

‘You’re going to Rome?’ Alina murmured against Tomas’ lips.

‘Yes cara.  Business,’ Tomas stated.

‘You’re leaving now?’

‘Afraid so,’ Tomas nodded.

‘Why can’t you leave tomorrow morning?’ Alina demanded.

Tomas’ eyebrow shot up. Alina lowered her head, fearing a backlash from her husband.

‘My meeting is at eight o’ clock tomorrow morning. I need my beauty sleep,’ Gabriella answered for Tomas, shoving her mobile back into her handbag.

‘So let her leave tonight. You can go tomorrow,’ Alina whispered.

The eyebrow shot up again. Alina shifted self consciously, her timid fingers still clutching his jacket.

‘Would you like to accompany me cara?’

Her hands dropped from his jacket. She looked away. ‘You know I can’t,’ she murmured.

‘Really caro, you have wasted enough time,’ Gabriella whinged from behind Tomas.

Tomas nodded to Gabriella. He looked at his watch before he pressed his lips to Alina’s and walked away.

‘Tomas!’

He turned around questioningly. ‘Yes cara?’

Gabriella mumbled a litany of abuse in her mother tongue.

‘When are you coming back?’ She breathed heavily, her eyes held his longingly.

‘Tomorrow evening cara,’ he smiled and walked out, allowing Gabriella to precede him.

Alina heard Gabriella complain about Tomas’ wife resembling a puppy dog. She heard Tomas laugh, but he had not responded verbally.

Really? Do I sound like a lapdog? Good heavens. Well he is my husband! So what the hell has Gabriella’s business got to do with Tomas? Why couldn’t she get to Rome on her own steam? Damn that woman!

Alina went in search of her family. They were in Caroline’s bed watching a movie. Emily was snuggled under the duvet.

‘Aunt Alina,’ she jumped out of the bed sobbing.

‘What’s wrong puppet?’

‘Toe-muz does not love us anymore. He is going back to Italy,’ she sobbed.