Chapter 1

My eyes glistened as I stared at the sunlight, my six-year-old hands clasped together in excitement and joy. The first time I had ever seen a sunrise, and if it wasn't for my then personal guard, it would have been my last. I'd never been allowed out of the castle, or even up to the windows until I had turned 6, and seeing the wondrous red sky slowly consume all clouds was magical.

Now, I'm sixteen, in the prime of my years and I am being expected to marry. Gosh, I don't even know why I was surprised, this was all I had been trained for. Posture lessons, eloquence lessons, pronunciations, regular exercise, a healthy diet. All of this was to make me an ideal bride for other countries' princes or kings or perhaps even Emperors.

Still, I never thought I would love anyone but Alexander. Sir Alexander, my childhood friend, my hero, he was the man I loved up until the day I met my suitors.

He was handsome, black hair, piercing blue eyes and flawless skin, pulled taut over the many muscles he'd accumulated during knight training and the many dragons and beasts he had slain in the name of my father. He always gave me a look of care when he saw me, yet it was always restrained, making my knees near buckle beneath me. His hair and face were covered by his helmet, leaving his sharp, shaven jaw-line visible.

I woke up as normal, two weeks after my sixteenth birthday to the cool draught of my balcony being open and the awful singing of "Rise and shine!" From Helga, my nursemaid. She woke me up every morning at 7am by freezing me to death as she opened the balcony.

She was a lovely young woman, three years older than me with beautiful lavender purple hair and green eyes that shone like emeralds. She was slim, with a body type similar to mine. She was incredibly smart, she had to be as she was my tutor.

"Good morning, Helga." I smiled at her, sitting up and getting out of bed myself.

I saw my room, with cream walls and red carpet, with oaken rafters in rhombus shapes two metres above any average height person's head, same as always. I smiled at my bedsheets, light pink fleur de lis patterns tesselating.

"Guten Morgen Prinzessin." She replies, sorting out a pretty dress for me. I stripped off my nightdress, put on my undergarments and corset before sliding the dress on. "Helga? Could you please lace up the back of my dress?"

"Ja, prinzessin. I would be glad to." She smiles, getting behind me and leaving up the back, delicately and with ease. I winces slightly as it began to crush my ribs, but she then tied it sand my body adjusted "thank you." I smiled as I tied my hair back/up, facing the mirror.

"So, what are my jobs today?"

"Breakfast, harpsichord lessons, a knights luncheon meeting, free time until dinner and after dinner is the ball."

This shocked me, father never mentioned a ball or dance today, nor a knights meeting luncheon.

"A-a ball?" I gulped, turning to her as my breath caught in my throat.

"Ja, the suitors ball? Did your father not say?" She asks, picking up my nightgown and placing it in the washing basket. I slowly shook my head. She hummed for a second "hurry to your breakfast, I shall speak with him..." She nods and curtseys before walking out of my chambers.

With a sigh, I did the same, violently attacking my untameable locks with the brush. As I winces from one particularly nasty knot, Alexander walked past, giving me the same look as usual, this time standing still and facing me. I stopped too, my e/c eyes staring deeply into his, glistening with admiration. "It's been far too long, princess." He says, bowing and kissing the back by hand, his deep voice unlike the one I knew as a child. My legs grew weak at his words as is but my lip to stop it quivering before I replied with a curtsey

"Indeed it has, sir Alexander..." I say cooly, my eyes meeting his again. He smirked, removing his helmet revealing his thick locks to me as they fall, framing his manly, strong features. He stood back up before nodding and walking down the corridor, placing his helmet back on halfway out of my sight.

I continued my assault on my knotty hair and ran downstairs to the dining room where I sees Father and Mother seated. Father was at the head of the table, mother to the left and an empty space for me on his right. i curtseyed and walked over, tucking the brush into my belt-sash and sitting opposite my mother.

"Wake up late?" She teased, taking a small bite out of her wood-flame toast.

"No, I just saw an old friend in the corridor." I replied back, smiling and looking at my own food. My father chuckled "Was it Sir Alexander?" he asks, looking at me out of the corner of his eye.

"yes." I blushed, looking down. "Does it matter, father?"

"No, just wondering." He chuckled loudly and finished his dinner. I sighed and ate mine quickly, neglecting the indigestion and hiccups accumulating in my diaphragm. I finished before mother and looked over at her to see disapproval etched in her features.

"A young woman does not scoff her food like an animal." She sighs "But, I understand the rush. You must be excited for the ball." She finished her own dinner and as if on cue, servants took away the plates and cleaned the table before disappearing.

"AH yes, the ball." My father looked at me, stroking the grey and black of his well-trimmed beard. "I meant to tell you-"

"You didn't tell her?" my mother questioned indignantly. "(D/N)!"

"What? It slipped my mind (M/N), pardon me for being busy running the empire!"

"Its barely an empire, darling. Axeobritia is more of a kingdom." She scoffs, leaning back in her chair sulkily. I sighed "This shouldn't be the argument... why are you planning my marriage to some suitor I've never met?" is looked away, the light seeping through the window making my (E/C) eyes glisten.

"(Y/N) these suitors asked for your hand in particular. I don't know why but... they did. They sorted this out, we merely agreed." My mother says, holding my father's coarse hand.

"Two of them are the sons of the Empress Ruska." My father says. "She has extreme power, so we couldn't deny them."

I sigh and nod. Empress Ruska was beautiful, powerful and ruthless. Although more savage in her running of her empire, she was well respected among all of the kingdoms around her, perhaps due to admiration, more likely due to fear. She'd started making her empire at the tender age of fourteen. Our kingdom was half of the size of hers but was also second largest in all of the land. Helga herself hailed from the Ruskanan empire, one of Empress Ruska's servant's children, or so I'd heard.

"I understand... I just wish you had told me sooner..." Solemnly, I wandered upstairs to continue my busy day.

Harpsichord lessons seemed duller than usual, Helga noticing my sadness and going easy on me, only making me perform one song. After i performed, she stood and curtseyed. "I think we should end here, I need to get you ready for the luncheon and have everything prepared for the ball."

I exhaled shakily, and let her put my (H/L) hair in an elegant style and let her sort out an outfit for the ball. Slightly afraid, I walked into the dining hall, the eyes of all of the men on me.