Chapter 4

"I am Prince Byron of Toynby, my lady." The young man bows lowly, eyes shut as he does so in solemn respect, swooping up my hand and giving it a suave kiss. The other suitors went back to partying for a time as we spoke. I curtsied in reply and smiled as sweetly as i could.

Toynby was a minuscule country, but it was powerful in it's knowledge of machinery. Men from Toynby invented the crossbow, the arrow-firing dragon saddle and even the locking doors of palaces. Their ingenuity was very good, and to ave an alliance with them would be phenomenal. Their eldest prince was the designer of a sword sheath that prevents anyone but you taking the sword, which is now used by all of our guards and soldiers. They're incredible, but I fear that an alliance would only cause tension, and jealousy, since their land is so small in comparison.

"As you know, I am Princess (Y/N) of Axeobritia."

"You're prettier than the rumours say." He smirks, looking me up and down, his demeanour changed completely from suave gentleman to a man of want and desire. My face flared red in embarrassment. "Th-thank you, prince Byron, I'm afraid I haven't heard much about you."

"I'm not the eldest, you see. I'm actually the youngest son of my family." Byron says, matter-of-factly, fiddling with his cufflinks as he tore his eyes from me. I nodded.

"Alright... how old are you then?"

"Sixteen as of last month." he says, eyes closed with a soft breath, as if to calm himself. "You should remember that, since you're going to be my bride, princess (Y/N)."

I was taken aback by his words, stuttering out a half thought out response that was unintelligible anyway. Byron smirked at how flustered i was. "Would you care for a walk, princess?" He asks, calmly disregarding his previous comment. "W-well I shouldn't leave the ballroom... Just in case I'm needed." He laughs at this, smirking again. "Don't worry dear, I'm sure your parents can take care of it. Do you happen to have a courtyard in this castle?"

"Well, yes but-"

"Would you care to how me? In the name of politeness, of course." He says with a delicate tilt of his head, a glint in his steely eyes. "a-alright, follow me..."

Slowly, I turn away and walk out of the ballroom, guiding him through the palace to the courtyard, which was a walled room in itself. Edging the doors open, the infinite darkness was revealed. The sky was dotted with tiny, shimmering stars as the moon shone above us. A few birds flew above us, even a dragon danced past, hiding the blinking stars above.

"Beautiful, isn't it? The sky I mean. There's so much knowledge hidden in those stars and in that moon just ready and waiting for me to know." He says, sitting down on a bench.

"Yes, it must be brilliant to be so small and insignificant in such a big space, yet so beautiful and important..." i smile, gazing at the vacuum, letting the moons reflected rays tickle my skin. He turns to me, some hidden rage in his gray pools. "Is that an insult?"

"What?" I say, turning back to him. "I don't understand... Are we not talking of the moon?

"Was that an attack on my country's size?" He snarls, standing up again, his size over me an attempt to intimidate me. Breathing out my shock, I looked back up, unafraid. "No, Prince Byron. It was not an attack on you or your country..." I lifted my chin to give off an attempt of confidence. "And any insinuation that it was, is frankly, an insult to my family and country." I said back, trying to feign offence.

He scoffs and looks away before turning back with a smirk, not unlike his previous one. "I think I know you very well now, Princess...Very well, indeed. I'll bring out your next suitor."

"No its alright, Prince Byron I can-"

"Did I say you can't?" he glared. "No, I just said I will." He snaps back, before neatening himself and walking back out.

I waited there, under the stars for a while, too frightened by the young man to deny him. As i looked at the flowers, I realised I hadn't seen them in the moonlight. The lilacs' dew reflecting the moons shine, the roses themselves gazing at the sky and the beautiful primroses all different coloured, almost glowing in the light. It was ethereal, as though magic grew from these flowers.

"Princess (Y/n)?" I spun around to face another boy, tanned and muscular. He wore a half open shirt, slightly sagging trousers and his orange and red hair loose and wavy around his neck, sending shadows constantly swaying around there. I curtsied to him. "Yes?"

"I'm Prince Arnel of Centurii. It's definitely a pleasure to meet you at last. I've been so excited to meet you!" He says, grinning and bowing lowly, a bounciness to him that was unmistakeable. When he rose again, i noticed the small cuts and scars dotted on his arms and body. "And a pleasure to meet you." replied. His bright blue eyes glimmered.

"We don't have pretty girls like you back home, everyone's all muscular and strong. Its nice to see someone so weak and feeble. Defenceless!" He smiles widely, laughing lightly. the words chilled me to the bone but I nodded nonetheless. "It's so nice to meet you! I've heard wonderful things..."

"Oh? All good i hope." I smile.

"Well that depends, is there any bad?" He teases, grinning. I giggle back, covering my mouth as I was always taught to. "Don't hide your smile, I'm sure its beautiful~!" He coos, pulling my hand away. I shyly smiled again, looking away. "It's wonderful... I wish I could be the only one who gets to see that smile." The words themselves were innocent, but the tone he said them in, the malice intertwined in his voice froze me inside.

"Come on, I'll take you back to the ballroom." He gripped my hand, smiling widely and dragging me along. I tugged my hand back, but followed anyway.

Three more to meet...