Chapter 10

(A/N: Thanks so much for 7 votes already! Also, big thanks to @Unspoken_Uprising for helping me advertise and polish this story! Thanks very much all! See you in the next chapter!)

The courtyard was a room, with grey concrete walls. The ceiling was open allowing light and wind to flow in, but it was too high for anyone to enter. But sometimes, a dark mart of me thought that it was too tall, to keep someone or something in. Along the edges of the walls were flowerbeds, always carefully tended to with wondrous, elegant flowers that reflected the suns rays in a cacophony of natural beauty. Grass lay below my feet, dry enough to walk on barefoot, but not so dry the grass dies.

Finally, in the centre was a beautiful, intricate fountain, carved with angels and demons battling amongst the flowing water and the carved in clouds. My mother had designed it when she was younger, and my father had it made here, with her carved in as one of the angels. I'd always hoped it was a sign of love, but I knew it was just to keep her happy.

Six gardeners and in-castle servants helped care for this garden, but I never understood why. Only royals and servants saw it, why bother?

Standing in the courtyard I felt the soft breeze whip around me. Memories of happy days long past flooded my mind. I spent a lot of time here, it was my closest chance to being outside since I was never allowed to leave. The facade of the outdoors was almost comforting; now it felt like a prison.

"princess." came a voice from the doorway. turning back, I saw the servant boy from before. he had the same dirty blonde hair, pessimistic face. It was him, but I'd never seen him in the castle until just before the suitors arrived...

"Who are you?" I asked him, finally able to ask the Axeobritian.

"Why didn't you listen?" He asked, more curious than angry. "You've started a revolution, a war that we nobody will win. You should have run away with Alex. If you'd done as I said, she'd still be alive."

The realisation struck me like lightning, making my fists clench in rage. "Did you kill Helga?"

"No," he said coldly, eyes empty. "I didn't. But I know who did."

"Who was it? Tell me!" I yell.

"It was for you... She was killed for you," he said, backing up. "You must run, you must. Otherwise, more shall die." He turns away and leaves, leaving nothing but my shock behind.

I whimpered and looked down, covering my eyes as I felt the small budding in my iris. With a shudder, I walked out of the courtyard, heading towards the solace of my room.

† ~ ♕ ~ †

Passing the salon, I heard the soft, wonderful sound of Alexander's voice.

"All of our staff and your staff have alibis. We know it was one of you that killed Helga." my eyes widen as I peek into the room. I cover my mouth in shock as i see all of my suitors in there, glaring at Alex like lions glare at prey.

I whimpered and gulped, backing up. Dov's eyes turned to me as he narrowed them. "Oh look, seems like my alibi's here."

All eyes turned to me. Alex's orbs widened in shock as he came to me. "Princess, you shouldn't have heard that."

Panic settled in my stomach. Helga's killer was one of my suitors ...