. o n e .

---

Dear Hush,

My name is Kim Seokjin. I’m in my senior year of highschool, and I have entrusted you to keep my secrets.

I am deaf. Most of the time when people hear that someone is deaf, their faces twist into an expression of awkwardness and pity.

I mean, how would you react if you knew someone couldn’t hear what you were saying?

I have been deaf my whole life, so I quickly adapted to this unusual lifestyle.

I can read lips, and I also use sign language to communicate with people, so I know what most people are saying as long as they don’t talk too fast.

I have tried using my voice a few times, but judging by the looks on their faces I can tell that I can’t speak well.

At my school, there is something called “The Beauty Department”.

There are ranks of beauty for everyone. “Aesthetics” are the highest rank, the prettiest, and the most beautiful.

They are the most respected of the whole school. Then there are the people that are in middle class with average looks, and then finally there is the lowest rank, the “Uglies”, with the worst looks.

First of all, I never agreed with this low standard stereotyping.

I am an Aesthetic, although I highly think of myself as an Ugly.

The main reason why no one wants to talk to me even though I’m an Aesthetic is because I am deaf.

So basically, I’m alone. Despite being an Aesthetic, people used to bully me.

Well, what can you expect? I’m deaf, basically the dream target for every Aesthetic on the campus.

Mom moved me to another school right after the principal had caught wind of my situation, and told her.

Well, that’s all you need to know so far. I start my new school today, and i’ll tell you how it goes.

---

Bang. Seokjin slammed his locker closed after stuffing the letter in his locker. Taking in a deep breath, he shifted his backpack strap further up his shoulder for better grip.

He turned around and began walking, but bumped into someone and fell down. Embarrassed, he quickly got up and dusted off his pants, and looked up.

A fairly handsome senior stood in front of him, recovering from the shock of being bumped. He had blonde hair, with bangs that swept across his forehead right above his eyebrows.

His eyebrows were natural, but they were shaped perfectly at the same time. His eyes were a captivating deep brown, and they blinked several times.

“Excuse me,” he said, and Seokjin, seeing the movement of his lips understood and blushed.

He mumbled out something, at least he thought he mumbled it.

“I'b zorry!” He shouted, and the blonde boy flinched.

“Turn it down, will you?” He said, a look of annoyance spreading across his face. Seokjin’s face fell.

“My name is Kim Taehyung, the top Aesthetic. Don’t bump into me again, because you might regret it.”

With that he swiftly walked away, bumping his shoulder into Seokjin’s purposely on the way. Seokjin looked back, clutching his shoulder where it got bumped.

He knew the prettiest people were always the worst in the school. They used their popularity as a ticket to act however they liked to other people. The teachers didn’t do anything about it because they favored the Aesthetics despite saying they don’t play favorites.

He was an Aesthetic, but definitely not popular.

---

You'll see some references to certain stories like Lookism and other stuff. Try to find them ;)