For One's Love

May's POV

"Mrs. Singer. I'm afraid I bring bad news again." The doctor said to mom, and the part that made me scared was that mom wasn't even that scared. It was almost as if she expected that.

"Yes, Doctor?" She replied faintly. 

"America has suffered from a bullet wound, but I was able to do surgery to extract it. What worries me is her recovery. If that should happen." 

I felt pain. 

"Umm-" Mom started to talk, but her voice sounded funny. "Ahem, will America be able to wake up?" She asked nervously. 

"It's a possibility, but a low one. I'm very sorry Mrs. Singer." I heard him say. 

"May, Will America be alright?" I heard Gerad ask me. I wanted to say something encouraging, but I couldn't 

"No. No, she won't be." I replied. And I knew I shouldn't have said it like that. But it was the cold, hard truth. 

"Oh," Gerad said, about to cry. I hugged for minutes without letting go, until Mom came out of the room. 

I pretended I didn't hear everything that the doctor told Mom when I was overhearing their conversation. 

"America suffered from a bullet wound, and doctors were able to take it out. However, she may never wake up." She explained, and with that, tears started to flow out of her eyes. "Right now, America is on life support because she cannot breathe on her own." 

I didn't know when I started crying, or when I started hold Gerad so tightly. 

"The hospital told me that we could take the gurney and the life support home. They do this for the patient's families who want the patient to lie in peace. Would that be something America would do?" She asked us. 

"Of course." 
"Definitely." 
"That's America, Alright." I heard all my siblings say. 

It was settled. America was going home. But not because she was better. Quite the opposite.