Spaces

"Oh spaces between us keep getting deeper...

It's harder to reach you even though I try...

Spaces between us hold all our secrets...

Leaving us speechless and I don't know why..."

Spaces, One Direction

.

.

.

.

"Subadra Malik, nice to meet you again" he said.

Dadi snapped out of her state and gulped. She looked at nani whose eyes suddenly widened as if she realized something.

"Wait you both know each other?" Arnav frowned.

"Long history" Adam whispered and looked at dadi. He suddenly snapped out of it and looked at Arnav, "I didn't meet that one person Arnav. Where is your lady?"

"Ah Khushi....she was here. Where is she?" Arnav looked around.

"Right here!" Khushi said as she walked into the room holding a tray of orange juice.

"Arrey why are you all making him stand at the door? Aap log bhi na!" Khushi chided.

"Oh yes" Akash cried "Take a seat sir!"

"Ah call me Adam" Adam said patting Akash's shoulder and sat in the couch. Everyone took seats and Khushi handed him the juice.

"Thank you" he turned to Arnav and said, "So this is the childish wife you were talking about!"

Khushi gasped and looked at Arnav who smiled sheepishly. Adam chuckled and turned to Aarav, "Hello young boy!"

"Hello" Aarav said shyly and sank into his seat.

"He is such a shy boy!" Adam commented laughing, "Come here dear!" he said extending his arm. Aarav looked at Arnav who nodded at him. He stood up shyly and walked to Adam.

Adam dipped his hand to the sling bag he had carried with him. Taking out a wrapped box from it he extended it to the boy, "For you"

Aarav held it and said, "Thank you uncle!"

Adam chuckled and ruffled the boy's hair. "Iski kya zaroorat dhi!" Khushi said smiling. Adam smiled and winked at Aarav who smiled widely at the gift.

"It's a great pleasure to meet you Mr. Philips" Payal said smiling, "We all wanted to meet that person who is defeating the rude and arrogant ASR for years!"

Adam laughed and looked at Arnav who smiled sheepishly. "Rude and arrogant? This guy? I find him harmless as a puppy!" Adam said chuckling.

Everyone laughed and Arnav glared at him. "Waise" he changed the topic, "How do you know dadi?"

Everyone noticed how dadi, nani and Adam stiffened at that. Adam bore his eyes into dadi as he answered, "I grew up in Lucknow. I have met her during my childhood!"

Raizadas must be declared stupid if they had believed his answer. Even Aarav could see right through the lie. Anjali cleared her throat cutting the tension. "Are you married Mr. Philips!"

"Call me Adam" Adam said smiling, "And...yes I was married. She passed away years back!"

"Oh I'm sorry" Anjali sank back into her seat.

"It's okay" he smiled.

"Children?" she asked.

"Dead" he said smiling.

Anjali looked down not knowing what to say. Everyone bit their lips and the tension was back in the room.

"Listen it's okay" Adam said laughing, "Happened years back! I'm okay! Don't feel bad!"

Anjali smiled nervously and Adam asked, "Tell me about yourself Anjali. I know about Arnav – the self-proclaimed arrogant, but a puppy in real, business man who is married and have a kid who is far more mature than him!"

"Hey" Arnav cried and everyone laughed.

"Well, I'm 33 years old" Anjali began, "I work with Arnav at AR fashions as head designer. I got married when I was 23 and got divorced recently!"

Adam nodded and said, "Sounded like a bio data that you submit for a job. You're too good at writing resumes aren't you?"

Anjali burst into laughter and everyone smiled.

.

.

Time flew as the family chatted with Adam Joan. It was a hungry Aarav who pointed out that it was 9.30 and he wanted food. Dinner was a joyous affair as Adam and Anjali together pulled a glaring whining Arnav's leg and the whole family watched it in fits of laughter.

.

.

"It was an incredible day! Thank you so much for coming Adam!" Anjali said and hugged him. "Thank you for inviting me!" he said as they withdrew the hug. He hugged Arnav and Akash and smiled at Khushi and Payal. Ruffling Aarav's head and folding a Namaste to mami, he looked at nani and dadi as the duo stuck together. Nodding at them he walked out of the Raizada mansion to his car.

Adam reached his car and opened the car door when he heard "Stop"

He turned and found the person he had expected.

"What can I do for your Mrs. Malik?" he asked crossing his arms.

Subadra turned back to check if anyone was there and walked to Adam. She held his arm and pulled him to the huge tree in the Raizada garden, hiding them from anyone who looked from inside.

"Why are you back?" she demanded.

Adam freed his arm and asked, avoiding his question, "Arnav. You named him Arnav"

"Answer my question. WHY ARE YOU BACK?" she asked angrily.

"I didn't come back Mrs. Malik. I never knew that it's them! And plus, if I want to come back, you're no one to stop me!" he said angrily.

"Listen Adam..."

"No you listen to me! Don't shout at me stating that I came back. You're the reason why I lost everything. You're the reason for my loneliness for the past 28 years! I searched the whole world for them and couldn't find them! They were Maliks weren't they? How come they became Raizadas?" he screamed.

"Sshhh!" dadi said.

"You didn't tell them, am I right? Of course you wouldn't!" he said.

"Why would I? I don't want my grandchildren to die!" she said.

"FOR GOD SAKE!" he slammed his fist on the tree.

"Don't vent your anger on me Adam. They were not safe with you and thus I protected them from you" dadi said sternly.

Adam looked at her breathing heavily for a moment and then turned on his heels walking to his car. Entering the vehicle, he slammed the door shut and drove the car out of Raizada premises.

Dadi sighed and turned. Coming from the secrecy of the tree, she walked to the house when she saw a person she didn't want to see.

"Khushi" she gasped as she stopped on her tracks.

Holding the sling bag Adam had forgotten to take, Khushi stood with an emotionless face.

"I....he..." dadi stammered and Khushi showed her palm stopping the elderly woman.

"In your room Mrs. Malik. And I want nothing but the truth!"