Ice

AN: This one-shot takes place in (SPOILER ALERT FOR SHIP OF THE DEAD) the scene where Magnus and the crew are traveling through Jotnumhiem. If you have not read this far, hold off on this chapter.

Hearth's POV

It was cold. Cold was not exactly a new thing for Hearth. In the last four years, Hearth had been in some pretty cold places, but that did not mean he ever got used to it. Elves were creatures that lived off sunlight and in eternal spring, which meant Hearth had not been ready for a Midgard December on the streets of Boston when he had first been assigned to watch over Magnus. That isn't to say he was the only one who had to adjust, Blitz swears he is melting when the temperature reaches 80 degrees, but it did mean that there were some places Hearth tried really hard not to go. Like the world of ice and frost giants that they were currently sailing through. Yay him.

Right, he needed to focus.

<

<

<

This had been Hearth's main thought for...he didn't know how long. How long had he been sitting here, just focusing on Kenaz? When he had first thrown it he had been able to move around a bit, even long enough for his turn below decks by the fire, but that must have been hours ago. About that time, the rune had started taking more energy--almost more energy than he had. His only option now was to sit here and wait.

<

Kenaz

<

Kenaz

<

Kenaz

Hearth's concentration was broken again, this time by an unusually large shiver traveling up his spine. His whole core was shaking, like something was trying to get out. Focus Hearth. Focus.

...What was he doing again? Oh

<

<

<

Hearth didn't feel the hand grab his shoulder, or assume that the shaking he was feeling was from anything other than the cold until he felt something tug at his neck. Hearth struggled to open his eyes. He could feel the ice crystals that had formed, crusting his eyes shut. When they did open, he saw Blitz in front of him, pulling something, something pink and green. My scarf. Blitz dropped the scarf, then proceeded to use his slightly blue hands to form the words Cliff. Walking. I will help.

Hearth wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but figured he didn't have the brain power to focus on it with the rune he was casting. Why am I casting a rune again?

Somewhere in the back of Hearth's mind, something offered: To live.

That was good enough for him.

<

Ken...Whatever that thing is called

<

<

<

<

It took many minutes after that to realize he was moving. Probably had been for some time. He felt a weight on right shoulder, or maybe that was the coat he was wearing? No this weight definitely hadn't been there before. Hearth was getting tired. He debated letting the weight go but finally decided attempt to rip his eye open. It took a few times, and was only able to get his left eye, but he was able to see a whole lot of white, a big change from the black of shut eye lids he had been staring into for...how long had he been casting this rune? Wait, what rune? Oh yeah.

<

<

<

His eye was still open. At the very edge of his vision, something darker than white came into view. He turned his head, or tried to, but probably only managed a quarter of an inch.Sleep. That was just enough to make a beard and some ski goggles that matched the colors that he could vaguely see under the beard. Sleep. Only one person would color coordinate their ski goggles and coat like that. It was Blitz.Sleep. If Blitz was here, then Hearth could Sleep! But wait. Wasn't I doing something?

From two different places in Hearth's mind two words emerged side by side

Sleep!                                                                                                                                                           Rune!

Hearth's body was still shaking, even worse than before. He couldn't feel his arms or legs anymore, just the mind numbing, lung jarring, limb sawing cold. All his thought had been reduced to painful jumbles.

Sleep!                                                                                                                                                               Rune!

Sleep!                                                                                                                                                                Rune!

Warmth!                                                                                                                                                          Blitzen

Rest!                                                                                                                                                            The Quest!

With Hearth's mind a mess, his body somewhere unknown, and the cold eating him alive, Hearth finally gave out. The voices stopped, and so did the rune.

AN: He guys. I know I haven't uploaded in a while. I thought I was done on Wattpad, but I had a few head-cannons from the new book and I wanted to give you guys some one-shots. Like I said at the beginning, this is cannon to the trip to Jotunheim in chapter 37. We know Hearth doesn't die, but in the book he does eventually pass out, and the whole way, the rune he is casting gets smaller and smaller. Blitz has to drag him the last few yards, but Hearth had been keeping them alive that long so it's fair. I plan to do a one shot that takes place when Hearth wakes up; gets freaked out because he is in a weird ice castle and can't find anyone he knows. Hope you guys enjoy (BTW: BLITZSTONE IS NOT CANNON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAS)