Chapter Seventeen

The crack of thunder woke me from a deep sleep. I bolted up from my spot and then regretted the sudden movement. My brain swirled and pounded against my skull. Whatever drug they gave me, it left a headache in its wake.

Lightning flashed again and was chased by booming thunder. Rain pounded down like a waterfall but I was completely dry.

Though my head spun violently I took inventory of what was around me.

I was in a little cave. Mere inches away from me was the cave mouth with a river of water running downhill.

At least Alliance was good enough to toss me in a cave rather under a large tree so I wouldn't be struck by lightning. The cave itself was more like a little natural alcove that was dung into stone. It was wide enough for possibly two people to fit comfortably. But I was alone in the cave.

A spider web of fear itched up my spin. I was alone. In an unknown location. No wonder why Ben was such a mother hen recently. He knew I was going to be dumped somewhere by myself. Well, I wasn't totally alone. Leaning against the back of the cave was a backpack that I could barely make out in the darkness.

I slid over and opened it. Through flashes of lightning, I pulled the contents of the bag out.

Rain jacket. What a great thing to have at the moment.

Extra set of clothes. That's when I noticed someone had changed me from my pajamas to my normal black clothes while I was knocked out.

Light blanket. That was useful, I slung that over my shoulders.

Four granola bars. Thanks, Alliance.

Empty water bottle. Extremely helpful.

Matchbox with only four matches in it. Typical.

A map.

I unfolded the map but it was utterly useless in the dark. During the few seconds of lightning, I couldn't make anything out on the map. Defeated, I folded it back up. My head still spun and sleeping it off seemed like a better idea than putting myself into full panic of being alone in the middle of the woods.

Tomorrow I would figure out where I was and where I needed to go. At the moment the only energy I could muster was to grab the rain jacket to use as a pillow.

 At the moment the only energy I could muster was to grab the rain jacket to use as a pillow

I woke the next morning to sunshine and the chirping of birds. Opening my eyes, I took in the green and lively world outside the small cave.

Laying there, I took a quick inventory. My head was no longer spinning and the headache was totally gone. I felt relaxed and refreshed, and totally dry. The only downside was my growling stomach and my need for coffee, courtesy of Ben, gnawed at me.

Sitting up, I pulled out a granola bar and opened the map.

The map was a nature map. There were no roads outlined. Only tree density and two rivers. It gave longitude and latitude but I didn't have a GPS.