Chapter Twenty-Four

We walked only a short way before we stopped outside a double door. Ben opened it and allowed me to go in first. The room was rather small and simple. Windows lined the wall across from the door that let natural sunlight in. Sitting at the simple rectangular table, was King Roth and Anthony. They sat at one end of the table, both in deep discussion. Across from King Roth was Queen Amelia.

Throughout the years I'd seen photos of King Roth and Queen Amelia in news articles, Queen Amelia was always graceful and elegant in every photo. I always assumed the photographers picked the best photos of her. The ones that looked the most beautiful and perfect. But now seeing Queen Amelia in person in a brief second I could tell she naturally was graceful and elegant.

Her black hair was wrapped in a french bun, her skin was fair and smooth. A few age wrinkles creased around her eyes and mouth but she still looked young and beautiful. In her simple forest green dress, she looked more like a woman than a queen.

Ben closed the door behind us and Amelia's forest green eyes lite up as she took us in. "Ben," she stood, setting down her wine glass.

Roth and Anthony stopped their discussions as Amelia took the few steps to her son and hugged him. "Hello mother," Ben said.

Amelia released Ben from the hug but did not let go of his hands. "You're thin." A mock horror played on her face.

"I am fine," Ben signed. Obviously a long running joke as the queen smiled. Ben turned toward me, an arm placed behind my back. A soft touch to try to calm me down. "This is Mel."

Those kind, green eyes turned to me. I found myself smiling at the queen without forcing it. The unrealistic fear that Amelia would be horrible to me vanished in an instant as Queen Amelia took both of my hands in greeting. "It is so nice to finally meet you. Ben spoke about your in his very few phone calls." The queen took my arm and walked me over to the table. She directed me in the seat to her left. Good, that left Ben to sit by his father.

"Hope it was all good," I said with some confidence.

Amelia gave me a genuine smile as she sat down. "Of course."

I followed suit and sat, remembering the last moment to tuck one ankle behind the other. Looking at the table around me, I found the silverware simple. There was one spoon, one fork, and one knife to my delight. Along with a solo plate with a water glass and wine glass.

Ben said dinner would be simple, I didn't think he really meant it. The food was simple too, as I took it all in. There was delicious smelling chicken, fish, potatoes, vegetables, fruits, and different types of bread. All of it seasoned and ready to eat.

"Where is Audrey?" Anthony asked his mother. I took in the King and heir. They both were in the same clothes they wore earlier. This time the king's suit jacket was draped over the back of his chair.

"Where is she typically?" asked Amelia.

"In her studio," all four family members answered in unison.

As if it was an offering of prayer for food, Anthony and Amelia begun to place food on their plates. Ben turned to me, "My sister is a bit of an artist, if we waited for her for every meal, we would be waiting a good half an hour."

"I did tell her that dinner started half an hour early," Amelia shared. She waved at the empty chair sitting to her right. "It has not helped."

Ben and I both chuckled as we too filled our plates. The seasoned chicken wafted to my nose. The smell made my mouth water. It has been ages since I tasted seasoning.

I was about to take my first bite of the still steaming mashed potatoes when the door behind me clicked open. Seconds later a young girl with black curly hair that was pulled up into a messy bun sat in the chair opposite me. Paint brushes were stuffed into her bun. One of them still wet with red paint was dripping onto her white shirt that was covered in paint despite wearing overalls.