Chapter Thirty-One

My mother was always a figure. Never a person. There was a form to her body, but I could not remember her face. To learn about her, who she was, what she did, made her seem so alien. How she had carried me in her body for nine months, cared for me for five years, only to leave like a cool breeze in the night.

She didn't take me with her when she left. She had me for the sole reason to strap Dad down.

That night as I tried to sleep old forgotten memories swam around my head. A woman with blond hair sung to me as I fell asleep in her arms. Voices loud and shouting as Dad and my mother fought in the kitchen. A gentle kiss on my forehead before she left.

The next day I woke tired. I sat in the almost empty control room, nursing a cup of coffee when Dad and Welch walked in.

"You never drank coffee before," Dad said as he too poured himself and Welch a cup.

"Blame Ben and his ungodly reason for getting up at six every morning to run."

Dad sat down across from me. "Oh no, you are not an early riser."

The door swung open behind me. Ben and Allegan walked in, both carrying rolled up maps.

Good mornings were exchanged as Allegan and Ben placed the maps on the table. "So, this is the route that is most ideal to get you two to Vegas," started Allegan after he struggled to get one of the maps unrolled on the table.

The route was easy. Or seemed easy enough. Start on I-80 heading west. Keep going until we reach the city of Omaha. We should reach there within a few days. From there continue on I-80 before turning on I-76. Continue until we reach Denver. From Denver, I-70 to I-15 which should take us straight to Vegas.

Seemed simple enough but I didn't memorize the directions. We would be in communication with the team so if we got lost, we can ask for help.

Allegan went on all morning about different routes and what we may run into. Our biggest worry was not running into Raiders.

Raiders were the worst people over there. They were all killers, sadist, slave traders. Any person that was inhumanly bad fell underneath the Raider category.

The Rebels may give us some trouble but if we don't tell them who we are, most likely they won't do a thing.

The friendliest was Wastelanders who simply wanted to live out their lives.

If all went well, Ben and I should reach Vegas in two to three weeks. But we all knew things weren't going to be perfect, so Dad planned to give us two months to reach Vegas. Just in case.

After Allegan was done, Ben and I ate a quick lunch before we were sent down to Williams to learn about our transportation for our journey. It was almost night by the time Williams allowed us to leave.

The next morning I sat on Doctor Hunt's examination table

The next morning I sat on Doctor Hunt's examination table. Our physicals were finished and Hunt had liked the way my knee was healing. We only needed the chips to be implanted into our arms and get shots.