Chapter Sixty-Three

I woke with a terrible headache

Drinking last night with Asher was not my proudest moment. Nor was it when Mel had to walk me back to the Palace because I couldn't walk in a straight line.

I didn't get drunk often. I could count the rare times on one hand. The last few days I was under a lot of stress and I dearly needed an outlet.

Sitting up from the bed, the world spun slightly. "Mel?"

No answer.

I turned to look at her side of the bed. Despite sharing a large bed, we kept to our own respected sides. We both agreed to keep our distance until after the mission.

Her side of the bed was empty, the blankets were thrown back. I looked over at the bedroom door to find it close.

I stood and walked to it.

"Mel?" I called in the empty hotel room. She was not on the sofa, in the kitchen, or sitting at the table.

A pit grew in my stomach. She would not have left without telling me and from what I could tell there was no note taped to the door, or left on the table or on the nightstand.

I had a very bad feeling about this.

There was no reason for Mel to leave the hotel room. My head instantly cleared and I went back into the bedroom to change.

I would check the kitchen first. She may have gone down there to get breakfast, but why wouldn't she just call room service. We had clean towels so that wouldn't be it. Maybe Maisie came to talk to her and they went for a walk?

If I didn't find her there, I would contact Blair and have her look up Mel's location from her GPS. But I would save that as a last resort, I didn't need her father worrying about her if its nothing big.

There was a loud knock on the door. I sighed deeply. Probably was Mel and she had forgotten her key.

Buttoning up my pants and pulling on a shirt, I walked to the door.

Opening it, I did not find Mel standing before me. But Chris.

I opened my mouth but Chris waved a hand at me, stepping into the room without me inviting him in. His face, he was concerned. Worry lines etched around his eyes. "Is Mel here?" he asked, standing in the center of the room, taking it in.

"No," I said, closing the door.

Chris turned to me. "I had the entire casino looked over. I cannot find Noah. He was supposed to be at the base to do training at four this morning. He never showed up."

My mind raced as I thought over the words. Noah was missing. And Mel was as far as I knew. But how did Chris think to see if Mel was here?

"What does that have to do with Mel?" I said. None of what Chris said made sense.