Chapter Sixty-Four

The feeling of my sore body returned to me first

The feeling of my sore body returned to me first. My head still ached from where I smacked it on the cement. But a new ache had manifested in my wrist and shoulders. My wrist was tied together above my head.

Through my eyelids, I could tell I was somewhere sunny and I was outside because of the breeze that ruffled my hair.

I opened my eyes.

"What the?" I yelped.

Before me were mountains, a narrow river that cut through the valley, and a desert in the horizon. My whole body swung in the breeze, my legs were not touching the ground.

"Don't move, you'll slip over the rod and whatever you do, don't look down."

So naturally, I looked down.

Below me was a cement death. A body had already fallen. From where I hung, I could see the smeared blood glittering in the sun and the broken body.

Looking up wasn't better. A rod was what kept me from dying.

At last, I looked over at Noah, he dangled too.

"Noah," I heard Chris yell from behind us. "We are going to get you up first. When you are ready."

Noah looked at me. He seemed so calm about this. To dangle above death.

"You are green, do you want to-"

"No, go," I managed to get out.

I felt sick. How Murphy managed to get me on this rod with me out cold scared me. By more importantly, why in the hell was I on the rod?

"Okay," Noah said to me before yelling up, "I'm ready." The rod was pulled back and Noah swung violently. The movement made my stomach turn sharply. I was going to be very, very sick.

"Whoa!" Noah yelled, "Slowly! I'm swinging here!"

Chris and whoever was with him instantly stopped pulling. When Noah's body stopped swinging, they slowly moved the rod again, this time much slower.

It only took a few minutes to pull Noah up, but it felt like it took hours.

"Mel," Ben called from behind me.

"Oh thank god," I muttered to myself. Hearing Ben's voice calmed me. If he was here, then it was safe. Or I will be safe after I get on the dam.

"Are you ready?" he called.

"Yeah!"

"Okay, hang in there."

What?

Did he just...

The rod slowly moved backward. They moved it slowly enough so I would not swing. My feet touched the cement first then my back. Hands grabbed mine. Other pairs of hands grabbed my arms and shoulders and pulled me up.