Chapter 33

Nat

The rain hit the ground as we were parking Dad's car two blocks away from our building. We rushed home, and as I reached the familiar red door, a gigantic wave of relief went through my body. Even though I'd gone to the Hamptons to relax, I'd done everything but.

First of all, there was the Darcy situation. Yes, I'd dreamt about him again last night, and yes, it had been a R-rated dream. Second, I had spent a total of ZERO hours doing some dot-dot-dot with Doug.

The previous day, as he returned from his run on the beach, he got a call from his captain, stating an emergency was forcing him to call in all his detectives. Regardless of my acquaintance with Doug's job, and the fact he had no other choice but return to New York, we ended up having an argument anyway.

Last but not least, there was the Patty-Fanny situation. I'd been having way too many situations these days, which was annoying. I'd spent a good part of my weekend making sure Fanny wouldn't cut Patty's throat. Okay, I might have been overreacting, but Fanny definitely looked like she wished the world was rid of Patty.

Poor Patty ended up returning home alone, for Doug was gone, Dad ordered me to be in his car as Bobby drove it back (apparently, he wanted me to make sure Bobby would stay sober all the way) and Fanny refused to ride with Patty. To be honest, Patty went home with her father's driver, but I was trying to make Fanny feel bad for her. Which she obviously didn't.

So, basically, Fanny, Darcy and I had to squeeze ourselves in Dad's backseat on the way back to New York, which didn't improve the whole Darcy situation much. Quite the contrary.

"Home, sweet home!", I practically yelled as I crossed the threshold.

As we entered our living room, a delicious smell of chocolate chip cookies reminded me of yet another reason to be excited about being back: Grandma was home!

"My dears!" Grandma was an American version of Julie Andrews: brilliant blue eyes, rosy cheeks, blond hair, and porcelain skin. Mom looked a lot like her, but I'd just inherited some of her delicate features. My parents loved to brag about my brothers' and my looks to their friends. They used to say we were a perfect blend of the two families.

Grandma's parents had been Brits, but they'd come to the States when her mother was still pregnant. Grandma had married a sexist, possessive Navy officer, who I would hate if he weren't biological related to me. And if he hadn't been essential to give me Mom, who was almost as amazing as Grandma. After he passed away, she'd finally found her freedom and happiness. I adored her.

My biological grandfather hadn't approved Mom dating Dad, since he was a Mexican descendent. Before his body was cold though, Grandma had already put together their wedding. Yep, Grandma rocked!

"I was so worried about you!" She came running to us, holding Bobby and me in one of her magical bear hugs. "The weather man has been reporting all day there's a terrible storm coming! It's supposed to be the strongest in the last twenty years in New York, and I was going nuts with worry and–"

She saw Darcy and, all of a sudden, she forgot all about her dearest grandchildren, her beloved husband and the fact she could be Darcy's grandma!

"Hello, there." She introduced herself, using her sexy voice. Yes, my grandmother had a sexy version of her sweet voice. As a matter of fact, she used hers more often than I used mine. I never minded before; I was actually very proud of having such a lively Grandma, but this was Darcy we were talking about! "You must be Fitz Darcy. I'm Julia Brown."

She offered him her hand, which he politely took and kissed softly. Oh, I wish I were that hand! Stop it, Nathalie! As if the hand kissing hadn't been enough, he then smiled adorably to her, and only to her. "Thank you for allowing me to stay in your home. And I apologize for imposing so."

"Oh, you are so adorable!" Grandma was flushing. Unbelievable. "And lucky I'm a married woman! If I were single and a few years younger..."

"Just a few?" I couldn't believe my mouth had just pronounced the words. I would never, ever say such a rude thing to Grandma. She was more than right to glare at me as she was doing now.

"Where's that boyfriend of yours, Nathalie?" Oh, she was a pro at that game. Good for you, Grandma! I'd totally deserved that retort. I was about to come up with a smart reply, when we heard a loud thunder and the lights went out.

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor