Chapter 51

Bobby

I almost pissed myself in that room. The dude interviewing me looked like the Terminator. At some point, he left me alone in the room of pain and despair and you know what he said before doing it? "I'll be back".

Thanks to Mom, he hadn't got a chance to turn back and terminate me. According to Fitz, Nat had ordered him to get Mom when she saw Men in Black dudes taking us in their torture-and-kidnap vans. Actually, they were SUVs, but vans are a lot scarier, so, for the sake of my horror story, that's how I prefer to describe their vehicles.

Fortunately, Fitz had followed Nat's orders to the letter. Not only had Mom come, but she also had brought the big weapons with her as well, in the shape of Wall Street shark lawyers, and some of the most powerful politicians in New York. Lucky for all of us, the rich and powerful loved the boredom of the arts.

There was still a rock in our shoes: after this episode, Dad and I would have to come clean with Mom and Nat, and they'd go ballistic. Nat might even try to kill me in my sleep. I'd have to crash at Anna's for a while.

"Please, Robert, allow me to tell the truth to Miss Nathalie myself." Fitz was walking in circles, as if he could open a hole in the marble floors.

"Seriously? You'd do that for me?" Maybe I'd have enough time to escape, while the Brit spilled the beans to my sister. I mean, she'd take her time killing him first, right? By the time she was done with him, I'd be safely having some Margaritas with Anna in Mexico. Maybe she could wear her new tiny white bikini for me.

"We'll tell them together, Bobby." Dad spoiled my amazing, flawless plan just like that.

"Tell us what, darling?", Mom had been talking (actually, she was giving a lecture) to the guys who took us from our home, almost – and a huge almost that was – making me pity them.

Dad thought she wouldn't hear us out, but he'd been clearly wrong. After all those years of marriage, hadn't he learned Mother saw everything? She was almost as bad as Grandma sometimes! He reassured her with soothing words and his I'm-a-great-husband-and-did-some-shit-because-I-love-you-so-much smiles while we waited for Nathalie, the only one who hadn't come out yet.

With that brief exchange between my parents, Fitz got all worked up again, sweating with anxiety. I was doing my best to calm him down, when I noticed a movement with my peripheral vision. It was Nat. She was charging like a bull who'd just focused on a big, red point.

And guess who the poor, red point was?

Damn it! She'd probably figured out what we'd been hiding! But that was impossible, right? The Feds didn't know. They couldn't have, otherwise we'd still be locked up.

"ROBERT ESTEVEZ BROWN!"

"Nat, what are you–UGH!"

I fell on my back on the marble floor after she hit my middle, making me lose my balance, my breath and my dignity. If we were in an UFC fight they'd have called it a knockout. In real life, it was known as being thoroughly humiliated.

"Nathalie! What do you think you're doing?", Mom had her mortified tone going on. I appreciated her help, even though I was sure she was more concerned about Nat's poor manners than the fact my sister wasn't allowing me to breathe for being on top of me, her hands clutching my pretty and fragile neck.

"I'm killing Bobby, mom. Do you mind?", Nat countered sarcastically, her grip firm on my precious neck. Oh, God. I was so going to die.

"As a matter of fact, I do mind. Your father wants to speak to all of us. Besides, everyone's watching", Mom added that last part when some security guards moved in our direction. "I do not want to be forced to help you out of an interrogation room again, Nathalie. I'm running out of favors."

"After what this little prick did, it'll be worth it." Nat threw me an accusing look, making Mom confused. Oh, no. Nat had figured it out. I was most definitely one hundred percent dead. Then, I'd come back as a zombie and bring Fitz, Dad and Trevor down with me. "In any case, Dad can talk to us now."

"Nat! I'm sure you have justifiable reason to be angry at your brother." Thanks Dad! And you were the saint here, right? What a hypocrite! Wow, Nat was really strong. I was about to faint from lack of oxygen. "Still, I need to talk to you about your brother," When Nat glanced at me suspiciously, letting go enough for me to inhale some much needed air, Dad explained, "Your other brother."

"You know where Ethan is?" Finally she was convinced killing me wasn't necessary (at least, not yet). Fitz helped her up, being a gentleman even to an almost assassin, but could you guess if this poor victim of circumstances got any help, after almost being pushed to a place with no return? Nope.

"It's not about where Ethan is, honey..." Dad stared at his own shoes, looking embarrassed. "It's about when he is."

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor