Something Cinderella-ish (Part III)

When Hanan returned home that day, she sought her mother for some good advice and comfort.

"Salaam Mama," Hanan greeted as she dropped her backpack in the living room. Usually she didn't do this, but today she had a lot on her mind. Mama had been sipping chai while reading Qur'an. She looked up as her daughter entered the room.

"Wa'alaikumussalam habibti!" she greeted back enthusiastically. Hanan sank into one of the couches and took comfort in its softness. She sighed and gazed at her mother.

"Mama, I had a fight today with one of my friends today," Hanan began glummly. That caught her mother's attention. She placed a bookmark on her page and shut the Qur'an, placing it on the table beside her.

"Why did you guys fight?" she inquired.

"She was being an idiot and I didn't deal with it in a proper way," Hanan replied. Her nose began to burn, meaning she was about to cry, but Hanan was sick of crying. She hated how dizzy it made her, and how ugly she looked when she cried. Besides, she cried enough in that cramped bathroom stall at school, there would be no more crying from her.

"It seems to me that all you need to do is apologize," Mama told her, pouring herself another cup of tea. Hanan sighed.

"It's not that simple. When I said she was being an idiot, I meant that she agreed to do something haraam. I can't just apologize, I need to find a way to make her see sense," she said. Mama continued sipping her chai, quiet in deep thought.

"Because she's your friend, your duty is more than just amr bil ma'ruf and nehi anil munkar," Mama began. "You have to do whatever it takes for her to see sense, even if it means telling one of her family members. I recommend an older sibling because siblings understand each other's problems much better than parents." Hanan grinned. She had the exact same idea. Like mother like daughter, how true that statement was at that moment.

"Thank you Mama!" Hanan said as she bounced up from the couch, grabbing her backpack. A sudden thought hit her. "Have you ever been in that kind of a situation before?" she asked her mother. Mama put her teacup down. Apparently she had had enough chai.

"Yes, when I was about your age, I had a friend who agreed to meet up with a guy. I told her many times that what she was doing was wrong, but she didn't listen. Finally I gave up and told her older sister, who threatened to tell their parents if the girl didn't listen. It all worked out, and she is now happily married and has many children," Mama said. Hanan smiled. She really wanted what was best for Amina. She was determined to save her friend from her desires. She was determined to ensure that her friend would have a good life. She skipped out of the living room and bounced up stair to her room. Amina had an older sister. True, she lived in New York and was studying journalism, but she was an older sister all the same. After changing into her pajamas, she grabbed her phone and texted Noor, Amina's older sister.

          Salaam Noor.

Noor immediately texted back.

          Wa'alaikumussalam Hanan. How r u?

          Good, u?

          I'm good hamdulillah. So, what's up?

          Nothing much. I was hoping I could call you. R u busy?

          Nope. Just gimme a sec, I'll call.

Noor called and Hanan picked it up. "Salaam my dear!" she greeted cheerfully. Hanan smiled happily. Because she was the oldest sibling, she often missed out on being babied the way younger siblings often are, so she enjoyed the attention.