Something Mulan-ish Part XIII

A/N: After doing some research about marriage ceremonies in Pre-Islamic Arabia, I wrote Harith and Huriyah's wedding as historically accurate as possible. It was very similar to Islamic marriages which came later, so you guys might recognize what's going on.

Laylah fretted about Huriyah, fixing her dress, securing her khimar, and adjusting her veil, all the while muttering about how everything needed to be perfect.

It was Harith and Huriyah's wedding day. After she had agreed to marrying him, the two decided to return to Mecca to have their ceremony. Harith sent out a letter to his father informing him of the news and their plan for departure.

"What about the kids?" Huriyah had asked.

"We'll take them with us like last time," Harith replied.

Soon afterwards, the newly engaged couple and the three kids travelled to Mecca, where they were greeted most heartily by Nouri and Hakim. They decided to hold the wedding the very next day, with only a few trusted guests being invited, among them being Laylah and her family.

And so the day of the wedding arrived.

"Done! You look absolutely lovely Huriyah!" Laylah exclaimed when she finally finished tidying her friend up.

Huriyah took a moment to gaze at herself in the mirror. Unlike before, she looked lovely. Her white, linen dress just barely touched the floor, hugging her curves till it flared out at her hips. The gold patterns flowed down her arms and all over the skirt of her dress, making her body shimmer whenever caught in the light. The khimar covered her hair and cascaded down her back till it touched the floor, basking her body in pure whiteness. While the veil covered most of her face, her eyes remained uncovered, which somehow made them seem bigger. Her black orbs shone with many emotions: apprehension, love, and joy, but most of all relief, relief at finally unveiling her secret.

"Thank you so much Laylah. You've truly outdone yourself," Huriyah praised warmly.

Laylah wiped away a tear. "Don't mention it. I'm just really happy to be here for my best friend on her special day!" she said, her voice thick with emotion.

Huriyah patted her back in comfort, not wanting to ruin her dress. A knock at the door interrupted them.

A'asal poked her head through the door. "It's time," she announced.

Huriyah took a deep breath before standing and walking out of her room. The wedding was being held in her father's home, so Huriyah had prepped in her old room.

The walk was a short one, yet for Huriyah it felt like an eternity until she finally saw Harith's sitting form on the cushion laid out for them at the end of the living room. All eyes were on Huriyah's bridely self, but her eyes were fixated on only one person.

When Huriyah stepped into the living room, Harith lifted his head and gazed awestruck at his beautiful bride. His breath caught in his throat. He couldn't tear his eyes away from her, not even when she gracefully glided over to him and sat on the cushion beside him. He just sat there, his head turned at a right angle, staring at Huriyah.

"Stop staring at me, you're making me feel self-conscious," Huriyah whispered at him under her breath.

"I can't help it, you're absolutely gorgeous," he whispered back.

"The two of you can talk all you want later, but right now we need to start the ceremony," Nouri whispered to the both of them, making them blush.

"We will now begin the ceremony," Nouri announced in a louder voice.

Hakim began. "I have agreed to give to you my daughter's hand in marriage for the requested mahr," he stated.

Huriyah remembered when Harith had approached her on the topic of her mahr, her dowry. At first she had awkwardly asked him to give her time to think about what she wanted. She didn't want him to know that she felt too shy to ask him for anything. Finally, after much contemplation, she decided on asking for a simple necklace made of gold. Though Harith insisted that she ask for more, she couldn't bring herself to do so, and the mahr was settled.

Harith continued the ceremony, breaking her out of her thoughts. "I have agreed to provide for the requested mahr," he stated.

The two repeated their statements twice before Harith and Huriyah were officially married.

"Mabrook, mabrook," Hakim congratulated his daughter and now son-in-law, embracing the two of them.

Nouri, Laylah, and the other guests also congratulated the newly wedded couple before the feast finally began. Only one goat had been slaughtered for the feast, but there was more than enough for everyone to have their fill. Harith and Huriyah could barely eat, though that was to be expected, considering their new marital status and all.

"You should eat something," Harith told Huriyah.

"I could say the same to you," Huriyah replied.

"I can't," he said.

"Why not?"

"Because I'm too busy admiring my lovely bride," he stated smoothly, grinning at Huriyah's furious blush.

"Oh how you flatter me. But it cannot remain unsaid how handsome you look today," she bashfully flirted back.

It was Harith's turn to blush. Huriyah did not let this slip unnoticed.

"Oh, is Harith shy? Did I make you blush like that?" she cooed, playfully pinching his cheek.

Harith grabbed her hand that was pinching his cheek and pressed a kiss against it. "Don't mind me, I'm just returning the favor," he whispered, his dark eyes flashing mischievously.

Huriyah suddenly became very aware of the guests that were watching them. She noted with extra embarrassment that Laylah and Nouri were smirking at the two's playful banter. "Stop it," she chided, pulling her hand away.

But Harith wasn't about to let it go. "I'd rather not," he teased, grabbing her hand once more and pressing another kiss against it.

"Harith please, there are people here!" Huriyah begged.

Harith sighed mockingly. "I guess I'll stop...for now," he complied, finally letting go of her hand.

Huriyah let out a breath in relief, shaking her head at Harith's mischief. I married a child, she thought in amusement, gazing warmly at Harith--her husband. She giggled at the afterthought.

A/N: I know, it's a very short chapter, but at least there's a lot of fluff! Yay for that, am I right?

Like I mentioned before, I did a bit of research on pre-Islamic marriage rituals. Apparently there were four common ways of getting married, the most common one being for the groom or the groom's family to agree on a mahr with the bride's family. The bride usually has no say in these things, but of course Huriyah does because Harith is awesome. 

Now that the two are finally married, what will happen next? Stay tuned to find out.

Toodles!