Something Cinderella-ish (Epilogue)

Three years later

Hanan was at her desk finishing up a formal lab report for her Immunology class. She was in her third year of university and was about to head into medical school; taking Mr.H's class in high school was worth it after all. Hanan's thoughts were interrupted by a knock on her door.

"Hanan, can I come in?" Mama asked.

"Sure," Hanan said as she saved her document and closed her laptop. Mama opened the door and walked towards Hanan's bed, where she took a seat. Hanan swiveled around to face her mother. "Did you need to tell me something?" she asked.

"Hanan, your dad and I have been talking recently and... we both think that you're ready to get married," Mama said. Hanan froze in her seat.

"Married?" Hanan asked. The word seemed so unreal at that moment.

"Yes, married," Mama clarified. Hanan was quiet. She had to admit that she didn't necessarily dislike the idea of marriage. She was okay with her life, but getting married wouldn't be a bad thing. If her parents thought that it was time, chances were that they had a good guy in mind, and she trusted her parents' judgement.

"Did you and Baba have anyone in mind?" Hanan asked. Her mother smiled.

"Well, not only did we have this person in mind, they came forward and asked for your hand," Mama began. "He's a very pious Muslim mashallah, and his family are very pious as well. You're friends with his sister, Amina."

Hanan stifled a gasp. "Amir?" she asked incredulously. Mama nodded with a knowing smile on her face. Hanan felt her ears burn. She turned away from her mother, trying to hide her embarrassing expression.

"Hanan, it's okay. You don't have to consider Amir. I just told you because we approved of him. Hanan was now blushing for real.

"Mama, it's not that I don't want to consider him. It's just weird since I've known him my whole life, and now he wants to marry me. Wait, does he want to marry me, or was it his parents' idea?" Hanan rambled.

"Amir wants to marry you. He was the one who told his parents, and then they came to us," Mama said. After a moment's pause, she then added, "You don't need to say yes. You guys can meet first and then you can decide."

Hanan nodded. "I want to meet him first, in that case," she said. Mama smiled again.

"Okay then, I'll invite his family over for tea tomorrow. The two of you can talk then," Mama said, before standing up and leaving the room. Hanan was left alone with her thoughts. Amir wanted to marry her. The guy she had a crush on when she was little wanted to marry her. How was she going to face him? Should she act normally, or should she be reserved? Should she just call the meeting off? No, that would be bad. God, why is marriage such an awkward thing?

...

The next day, Hanan woke up early to help get ready for her guests. She helped her mother clean the kitchen, the bathrooms, the bedrooms, the living room, even the garage. Her father had taken the day off from work so that he and Sajjad could tend to the backyard and wash the car. Maryam cleaned her room and tried to help wherever she was needed. The family worked all day and didn't take breaks except for salaat and for lunch.

An hour before the guests were to arrive, they all showered and got ready. Hanan wore one of her best dresses and a nice hijab that matched perfectly with it. She had just finished putting on her accessories when the doorbell rang. Hanan froze. This was it. She was going to meet with Amir face to face to see if she wanted to marry him. Oh god, oh god, oh god! She wasn't ready for this, she'll never be ready for this! She should just grow old and live with a bunch of cats for the rest of her life!