Something Mulan-ish Part XIV

10 years later

Huriyah peered her head over Harith's shoulder, balancing Husna against her hip as she attempted to read the letter Nouri had sent them.

"What does it say?" she asked her husband.

Harith grinned triumphantly. "It's Mohammad. He's on his way here with the Meccan Muslims!" he exclaimed.

Huriyah nearly dropped her daughter in excitement. "Really? When will they arrive? Are our fathers with them?" she asked, firing each question like an arrow.

Harith chuckled at his wife's enthusiasm. "If everything turns out fine, they'll arrive in a few days, since this letter says that they departed two days ago. And yes, both of our fathers will be coming," he answered with a smile. "Oh, and Laylah and her family are coming as well," he added.

"YAY!" Huriyah squealed like she was twelve again.

Husna awoke from her slumber. "Mama?" she asked, her little fists rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

Huriyah calmed down immediately. "Everything is fine Husna, go back to sleep," she whispered, coaxing her daughter to go back to sleep.

The toddler closed her eyes and resumed her snoozing.

Huriyah gazed at her daughter in wonder. The past ten years had been most eventful. After Harith returned to Madinah with his bride, the city was in an uproar; how could a man have allowed his wife to crossdress for three years, and let her work in public no less?

It had taken a while for the people to accept their story. The men had made fun of Harith, and the women had been forced to shun Huriyah. But after many of Harith's close friends, including the ones who accompanied them to Medinah, showed their support for the couple, the people of Medinah finally accepted Harith and Huriyah, and the two were able to spread the word of Mohammad successfully.

Huriyah gave birth to five children, three boys and two girls. The oldest, Fasih, was nine years old and growing to be very eloquent, just like his parents. Zakiyah was eight years old, and much like her brother, her literacy was outstanding. Asad and Haydar were both six years old, and the two were very mischievous little boys, always causing trouble for Harith and Huriyah. Husna was her youngest, only four years old, and she was the sweetest little girl in all of Madinah. Needless to say, Huriyah loved her family immensely, and she would go to the ends of the earth to protect them. She turned to her husband, who was thinking intensely.

"Should we prepare our house to accommodate some of the Meccans?" he asked her.

"Do we have room?" she asked him. After she and Harith married, they had moved to a larger hut that was big enough for a normal sized family, but she didn't feel that it was large enough for guests.

"If all the kids share a room we'd have a spare room," Harith suggested. "It would be enough for three adults."

"I guess that works," she said. "Which room should we use?"

"The boys' room. It's slightly larger than the girls' room, so it should be more comfortable for the guests," Harith decided.

"Then it's settled," Huriyah concluded. "Now let's inform the others of Mohammad's journey."

...

Not a week had passed when the Meccan Muslims began arriving to Medinah in large groups. When the first group appeared on the horizons, it caused quite a stir among the Medinahns. Many thought that Mohammad was among that group. It was later found out that that wasn't the case, but the Meccans were still accepted warm-heartedly regardless. The next day, more Meccans arrived, including Laylah and her family, who were greeted tearfully by Huriyah and situated immediately in her old home (which she had kept for the little rascals).