Something Mulan-ish Part V

As he sat next to Huriyah in the darkness of her chambers, Harith tried to confirm how he felt. Was he angry that Huriyah had lied to him? Maybe. Afterall, he wouldn't have been so frustrated about her voice had he known that she was a woman.

"Harith..." Huriyah mumbled in her sleep. Harith gazed at the woman in her sleeping form. Why did she lie to him? Why did she lie to everyone? Surely there must have been a dire situation for her to have done something so desperate. His thoughts were broken by a knocking at the door.

"Mister Harith, can I come in," Aasal asked from behind the door. Harith quickly pulled the covers to Huriyah's neck. There was no need for anyone else to find out her secret. He would confront her about it some other day, but for now, he would protect her identity.

"Come in," he said. Aasal opened the door and carried a tray with food in.

"I know you told us to stay out of the room so that we don't get sick, but you have to eat something," Aasal said as she placed the tray down in front of Harith. "It's already night time and you have yet to leave the room."

"It's already this late?" he asked her incredulously. Aasal nodded.

"How's Hur doing?" she asked. Harith checked Huriyah's temperature.

"He's doing much better," he assured the girl. "She'll be fine by tomorrow." Aasal smiled in relief.

"Thank you so much Mister Harith," she said gratefully. "You came and took care of Hur even though you're so busy. How can we ever repay you?" she asked. Harith smiled.

"It's okay," he said. "Hur is my friend. Helping him in his time of need is my duty." Harith realized that this was true even if his friend had lied about her gender. Even if Huriyah was a woman, she was still his friend, his apprentice. She was still important to him.

"Would you like to stay the night?" Aasal asked Harith. "I can lay out some blankets for you right next to Hur." Harith debated with himself for a moment. If he stayed over, he could keep taking care of Huriyah until she felt better. But that would mean sleeping in the same room as a woman, and even though right now she was a man, it was still wrong.

"I think I'm going to rest at home," Harith said. "Hur should be fine for the rest of the night, and if anything happens, you guys can just come and get me." Harith stood up and prepared to take his leave. "I'll come tomorrow morning to check up on him," he said before walking out of the room. "Goodnight everyone," he bade before leaving the hut and walking to his home. That night he laid awake restlessly, thinking about Hur and her true identity.

...

"I have the poem ready," Huriyah said to Harith as she put her stylus down. Harith put his scroll down and sat with his arms crossed.

"Let's hear it then," he said. Huriyah took a deep breath and began reciting the poem she wrote. Her recitation was flawless, changing the tone of her voice when necessary, pronouncing every word properly, and conveying deep emotion with her performance. Harith was amazed. As soon as she had finished reciting, he started clapping. "That was incredible!" he exclaimed. Huriyah blushed.

"It's nothing compared to the way you recite," she said bashfully. Harith grinned.

"Nope, your recitation is better than even mine. Well done, well done," he said. "I think you're ready for the banquet."

"I can't wait!" Huriyah exclaimed.

...

The day of the banquet had finally arrived. Huriyah and Harith were bedecked in their finest clothing. As they sat at the far end of the tents where the banquet was to be held, Huriyah was trying her best to calm down. Naturally she was very nervous, as this was her first time reciting for a large audience. Harith tried to assuage her fears.