Regrets ~ A Winterwatcher Oneshot

Moon shifted on the sand, lifting her wings and refolding them. She stared up at the night sky. It glittered brightly, but coldly. Usually, she found the night sky inviting, but not tonight.

Not when every star she looked at reminded her of him.

She'd thought long and hard about her decision. She knew-well, she was pretty sure-that she had made the right one, but remembering what she'd given up made her heart clench.

Moon wondered what Qibli would think, knowing the true reason why she had picked him over Winter.

Then she wondered what he would think.

Sitting alone on the sand, with Qibli inside the castle busy talking to Queen Thorn, she allowed herself to feel regret, and to remember why she'd picked Qibli.

She hoped Qibli would never find out, but Moon hadn't picked Qibli because he would be easier to live with, or because she loved him more than she loved Winter.

Because the truth was, she didn't. She loved Winter more than she loved Qibli, and if she was looking out for herself, she would have picked Winter.

Only part of what she had said to Qibli was true.

Winter is strong, she had told him.

And that was very true. Winter was strong.

Stronger than Qibli.

Which was why she had to pick Qibli.

Moon was Winter and Qibli's friend first, above all.

Qibli was not strong enough. He had such a desperate craving for affection, for love. Most dragons did, but nowhere near as intense and fierce as Qibli's was. Winter had the craving for love too, but Moon could see that he would survive without it being fulfilled, and even manage to enjoy life once in a while, once Winter distracted himself from thoughts of her.

It wasn't a fate she particularly wanted to condemn him to, but she had to, in order to save Qibli from a far worse fate.

If she rejected Qibli, he would see it as proof that he was not good enough. And she couldn't let that happen. Moon had looked down that path.

It did not end very well.

If Moon had to pretend to be in love with Qibli so that he would stay alive, she would do it. And sometimes, it was easy, even. Sometimes she could almost forget Winter.

But in the moments where Moon was alone, she couldn't forget Winter. She couldn't pretend. She couldn't shake him, couldn't shake the regret of what could've been.

"Moon?"

Qibli's voice interrupted her from her thoughts. Moon turned around as a warm wing laid over her.

"Beautiful night," she offered to him, pretending that she hadn't just been wishing that she was with Winter instead of him.
"Yeah, but...not as beautiful as you." Qibli smiled sheepishly at her.

Moon didn't answer, simply snuggled in closer to his warmth. The desert was freezing at night.

"Hey, Moon?" Qibli said after a beat of silence.

"Mm?"

"I need to ask you something."

"Yes?"

"Will you--" He paused. "Will you be my mate?"

Moon thought back to what she'd been thinking of a moment ago. She thought back to of Winter.

It's too late to turn back, no matter how much you wish.

"Of course."