The One Worth Saving

AN: Welp I'm Back :)

Disclaimer: I don't own PJO of LoK

.*.:~*~:.*.

"Let's see." Lin Beifong stated exasperatedly. "Multiple counts of destruction of private and city property, not to mention evading arrest...." The clipboard went SLAM onto the interrogation table. "You're in a whole mess of trouble young lady."

Korra didn't even react to the harsh treatment she was receiving from the Chief of Police, she kept sitting stoically in her chair in the dull interrogation room. This was because her mind was still on the one subject that had been plaguing her since her capture. She decided to bring the subject up.

"Do you know what happened to him?"

Lin straightens up, surprised of the sudden question.

"I'm sorry?"

"Do you know what happened to him." Korra states again as she looks up to stare at the daughter of the Legendary Toph Beifong. "The guy who was with me on Naga when you captured us. He fell off while we were tied up and I don't know where he is now..."

Lin looks perplexed for a second before quickly referring to her clipboard. After a moment of tense silence, she 'humphed'.

"Ahhh, yes. Reports say that you were aided in your villigatacy by a young waterbender with black hair, other features too uncertain to say. He apparently committed suicide to escape arrest by jumping off your Polar bear dog onto the railroad below." She raised a disapproving eyebrow. "Care to explain?"

Korra sputtered, blue eyes wide,

"What! He committed suicide?! He- He didn't! One of those wires knocked him off Naga, and he fell... onto... He DIED!?" Korra started to panick. He died, oh my gosh he died! She completely forgot the fact that they were above the train tracks! There was no way he could've survived a fall like that!

Korra clutched her head in her hands as she tried to comprehend what had happened.

"I-I didn't know... I thought it was okay... he died, he died. He died HE DIED HE DIED!" Korra wailed and began to sob. She killed someone, it was her fault, all her fault. She didn't even know his name.

Lin, froze as she witnessed the legendary avatar cry. She didn't expect something like this to happen. She expected the avatar to try to justify her actions, try to escape punishment with flaunting her identity, then Lin proceeding to crush her argument like a boss, putting the avatar back into her place. She certainly didn't expect her to start bawling like a baby over the grief of someone haying their life cut short. Lin was an experienced police officer, becoming Chief almost immediately because of her prowess and heritage. She was used to the prospect of death. But this young lady was not. She didn't have the experience of a proper avatar yet; still innocent to the true world around her. She was just a young girl.

"What kind of avatar am I? I let someone die-"

"Get a hold of yourself, avatar!" Lin Beifong gripped Korra's shoulders and shook her hard. Korra tilted her face up to the stern face of the Chief of Police.

"People die every day, Korra. Sometimes by natural causes, sometimes because of interference." Lin paused and looked over the pathetic figure before her. "This incident was out of your control. It is not your fault. Although this is unfortunate, the world must move on. You won't get anything done if you hold onto the past." Lin looked Korra in her eyes, and for the first time in this conversation, Korra saw true sincerity from the stoic officer. "This is only the beginning of your journey. If you can't handle this, you won't be able to handle anything."