Chapter 6

This feeling was something unlike I had ever felt before; it was power. Incredible, raw power that filled the stadium, my body, my soul. A sense of peace coursed through my veins, completely unearthly, a peace that passes all understanding.

This peace let me see something that I had never experienced before. I could feel the Enemy pacing, pounding, shaking trying to get in, but he could not, for my Savior was there, filling the room with His presence. He was wrapping His love and grace around me, shielding me from the lies and despair that the Enemy had been pouring into me. I raised my hand, clinging to the comfort He wrapped around me, tears of gratitude filling my eyes. This is what my God can do when I let Him carry me.

But I know this was only glimpse of the battle between Him and the Enemy over me. The Enemy was seethingly angry that he could not reach me here, and I knew that he would be after me ten times harder once I went back home and settled into the routine of school. I didn't want to think about that, so I let go and enjoyed myself, content for a weekend.

The dream shifts.

I fingered the simple yet elegant silver necklace on display before I scooped it up and brought it to the counter to buy it. The design was simple, with only long beads and dots, but it spelled out a message. The beads were Morse code that spelled out a beautiful promise. I hoped that every time I wore the necklace, I would remember to give everything to Him. It was a powerful reminder that I could carry with me wherever I go.
*************
Tempest sat on the edge of her cliff watching the sun rise, having given up on sleep hours ago. As the clouds were painted a dark orange by the glowing sun, Tempest closed her eyes, attempting to block out the thoughts crawling from the darkest parts of herself. When she could no longer see the sun, she stood to her feet. She walked barefoot in the foamy whitecaps on the beach, lost in thought.

As she walked along the shore, she spotted a glint of silver in the wet sand, the waves gently washing over it. She leaned over and dug a necklace out. She brushed the grains of sand off and gazed at it in wonder. It was the same necklace she had seen in her dream. She moved her long hair to the side and clasped the necklace on, fingering the beads resting on her collarbones. How did it wind up here? The girl in the dream had mentioned that the beads on the necklace spelled something in Morse code, but Tempest didn't know what it said.

Tempest then strayed away from the water and entered the wooded area surrounding the cabin. She wandered aimlessly through the trees, mist clinging to the canopy of broad, dark green leaves shrug above her head. Exposed roots twisted around each other, clawing their way out of the rich brown earth. She carefully picked her way over the roots reaching for her ankles and brushed aside thin branches heavy with budding leaves. She didn't know where she was headed, only knowing that she wanted to escape the confinement of the cabin and her cliffs.

The pounding of the ocean against the shore and the screeching of the gulls faded with every step forward she took.

Pale sunlight slipped through the, burning away the mist. Tempest tilted her head up, hair brushing her elbows. A glint of light through the leaves drew her deeper into the forest.

"A mirror?" she asked. The mirror was blank and oval shaped, a smooth pane of silver that sat embedded in thick branches and framed by lush leaves. Mist curled around the base of the mirror. Tempest tilted her head as she approached. Her reflection didn't show, even as she stood as close as she could, nose hovering just above the glass. She then took a step back and pressed the tips of her fingers to the cool surface. A warm tingle flooded her body as the mirror shimmered to life, reflected the scene behind her before fading away.

Then, all the dreams that had plagued her for weeks flashed across the glass. But now, they came thicker and faster, weaving together until a figure appeared on the other side of the glass. She had hip length light brown hair that hung down her back in waves. Her hazel eyes, pupils rimmed with green that looked eerily similar to Tempest's own crinkled as she smiled.

"Who are you? How did you find this place?" The girl shook her head, an apologetic look on her face. A glint from around the girl's neck drew Tempest's eye to the necklace hanging above the collar of her shirt. Tempest's hand floated to the necklace hanging around her own neck. The necklaces matched exactly, right down to the very last silver bead.

"I can't tell you that. All I can tell you is that you're not alone and that I'm sending you a companion, a friend, one that I had to part with in my world. You'll meet him when you wake up." Her voice sounded almost like Tempest's, except it echoed slightly. Tempest shook her head.

"Look around. I am alone. Completely and utterly alone!" Tears trickled down Tempest's face.

"I know it feels like you're alone, forgotten and insignificant, but you're not." The authority in her voice lifted Tempest's head. "You're never truly alone. I promise. " The girl then reached out and touched the mirror, her skin warm under Tempest's fingers. A small smile creased her red tinged mouth as she pressed her palms against the glass.

"I have to go now, my friend. Sweet dreams." She pressed the tip of her finger to Tempest's forehead. She raised a hand in farewell as Tempest's head spun and her eyes fluttered closed.

Tempest awoke in bed, covers tucked under her chin. She sat up and blinked the sleep out of her eyes. Had it all been a dream? The weight of something around her neck dashed that thought. It was the necklace she had found on the beach.