Chapter 8

"Abba?" He smiled.

"Yes my child. It means father." Tears streaked down Tempest's face as he drew her close. "Your earthly father will always be imperfect and let you down, but I will always be perfect. I will always  be there for you." Tempest clung to him and his promise, drawing strength from his presence and firm words.

"Whenever you feel alone, just remember the promise you wear around your neck." Tempest brushed the necklace with the tips of her fingers.

"What does it say?" Abba smiles again.

"Give it to God." A throaty purr rumbled from behind Abba, and Tempest watched as he scooped up Neve and cuddled him to his chest. He then looked up at her and held Neve towards her. Tempest grinned as Neve meowed softly, his rough tongue lapping up the tears rolling down her cheeks.

"He loves you," Abba commented as Tempest stroked Neve. She nodded, remembering the girl in the mirror. She could still hear the wistful tone in her voice as she had talked about the cat she now cradled in her arms. She set Neve down, absentmindedly picking white fur from her sweater.

"Neve belongs here with you." Tempest's head shot up.

"How did you know what I was thinking?" He shrugged and sat beside her, gazing out at the water.

"I know everything about you my child. I even know things about you that you don't know about yourself." Tempest studied his profile, mind whirring. He turned to look at her.

"I have to go now." Tempest froze, tears welling.

"Please don't. Don't leave me too." He smiled gently and opened his arms wide. She ran to them and he hugged her tightly.

"I'm not leaving forever. I'll be back before you know it." She sniffed and he hooked a finger under her chin, forcing her to look at him. "I'm always with you, even if you can't see me, okay? When you need me, just call, and I'll come." She nodded and watched as a hazy cloud shrouded his form. A blinding flash of light forced her to squeeze her eyes shut and when she opened them, Abba was gone. She blinked the stubborn tears from her eyes and sat at the edge of her cliff, feet dangling over the edge.

She gazed out at the rising and falling waves, lost in her thoughts. Neve curled up beside her, his content purr rumbling in her ears. She began to stroke him gently, her eyes fixed on the horizon. She missed her dad. Her earthly dad, as Abba had called him. She still was unable to wrap her mind around the fact that he had left her all alone, without even saying goodbye. Again, she felt the tears well in her eyes. She angrily blinked them away, fed up with crying. 

She brushed a hand across her eyes and picked up a stone. She wound up and threw it as hard as she could, watching in satisfaction as it plummeted into the water. She picked up another polished stone and threw it harder. She fell into a rhythm of inhaling as she picked up a stone and exhaling as she threw her anger and sorrow into the ocean with the stones. 

The sun dipped below the clouds as Tempest stood to her feet, a sense of peace coursing through her veins. She headed back to the cabin, Neve trotting at her heels. She pushed open the door to the cabin and closed the door behind her. She then went into her room and changed out of her damp pajamas into a clean dry pair, and wrapped her green and black plaid blanket shawl around her shoulders. 

Neve wound around her ankles as she stopped at the fridge, delighted to see a platter of Chinese food waiting for her. She carried the warmed platter to the living room and plopped onto the white leathered couch. Neve jumped up and snuggled next to her as she turned on the TV. Tempest closed her eyes and randomly selected a movie from a long list of Disney movies. She cracked open her eyes as the opening credits from Mulan  started. She hummed along as she shoveled food into her mouth. 

She set the plate aside and rested her cheek against the cool leather as she began to sing, horribly off-key, along with the movie. A beautiful smiled curled her lips as she sighed contently. As the end credits rolled across the screen, she closed her eyes, sleep gently embracing her.