Observing

Derek:

She doesn't run away or step back like I thought she would. Instead she just hugs her wrist and sighs. "I didn't even hold your wrist that tight." I retort as she checks over it.

"I guess that's as close to an apology as I'll get." Claire mumbles under her breath and lets her hand drop.

I cross my arms across my chest. "Well then what are you hiding?" Her eyes steadily watch the floor instead of looking up.

"Its not that big of a deal, Derek. Just drop it." Claire takes a step forward to leave but I grab her wrist. Does she honestly think that I'm just going to let her leave?

Huffing in annoyance she finally looks up at me. "Would you stop that. I mean it's not like I can outrun a werewolf." I don't let go, making her let out an irritated groan. "Fine. And here I thought that I was the nosy one."

She takes a deep breath before speaking up. "Okay so I'm basically genius level smart."

"Scott and Stiles already told me that, so I know that's not what your hiding." I counter and shake my head. She looks irritated but I really can care less because I hardly trust her brother and his sidekick let alone her. I look at her as she shifts uncomfortably from one foot to the other while making faces at the ground.

"Well I don't know exactly what it is, but I guess a way to describe it is that I'm very observant." She scratches her head with the hand I don't have my grip on. "Okay so that wasn't the best way to describe it. It's like something clicks in my brain and I can see a lot about the person I'm looking at."

I let her wrist go and she lets it hang by her side. "That's it?" I question in disbelief. I thought she was going to say she wasn't human or something along those lines. Her head shoots back up in my direction.

"Its never been a small thing for me, Derek. Can you even imagine being able to see someone's personal memories? It's it's..." She pauses and closes her eyes. "Its overwhelming. And only you, Stiles, and Scott know and I'd like to keep it that way."

"And my uncle." I add. Must be why he was so interested in turning her.

"You must be wondering if that's why your uncle was so--intent on keeping an eye on me." She looks straight ahead into the empty forest, but stops and bites her lower lip nervously. "It just happens randomly when I get someone's complete back story."

Out of all the times that I've been around her, or even just watching her, I've never seen her so serious. Its like seeing a completely different person talk.

"I don't tell anyone because they get defensive when I start pointing out things about them and their life." If she stares anymore intently at the tree I'm sure it's going to turn to ash sooner then later. "Plus I don't like being called stalker...or freak." The last word barely comes out above a whisper.

I glance at her still having a staring competition with a tree. "Well you're not." I say out loud, earning the attention of her oddly colored eyes.

"Hmm ya of course. Because it's so normal to see what I see." She says sourly. And so the optimist becomes the pessimist.

I shrug while thinking over what to say. "Well I still say you're not. And that's coming from the werewolf." She smiles before laughing lightly. I feel the ends of my mouth curve up hearing her cheer up.

She suddenly stops and looks up at me, another smile grows on her lips. "Hey you have a nice smile."

I know it's suppose to be a compliment but it bothers me when people expect me to smile and be happy after all that's happened to me. I shake my head so that I won't yell something at her instead.