A Visit and A Few Promises

Claire:

I stand with my hands behind my back as I wait for someone to answer the door. There's a muffled conversation on the other side before the door finally opens.

"Claire, what a suprise. How have you been?" He always acted kind when I was around even though I know it's all an act.

"Good." I respond with a smile. "I hope you've been doing good as well."

"Well don't just stand there come in." He moves aside so that I can walk past him. Shutting the door he looks up the stairs.

My gloved fist clenches but I keep it out of his view all the while keeping my friendly smile on my face. "I just stopped by to see how you and Isaac are doing, Mr. Lahey." I say causing a smile to grow on his face.

"You see I have to go away for two weeks because of work, and I hate the fact that I've been far too busy to visit since I came back." I hear a shuffling come from upstairs causing Mr. Lahey to glare in the direction thinking that I didn't catch him.

He turns back towards me. "You know your always welcome around here." His smile causes an uneasiness in the pit of my stomach, but it's nothing new when I'm around here.

"Especially with all the help you given me with Isaac. I'm sure he'd be a lot stupider in school if it wasn't for your help." My fist clenches up but I put it behind me back as I chuckle along with him.

"Isaac get your ass down here." Any other person would have mistaken this as father simply joking around with his son, but unfortunately that's not the case here.

A few seconds later, even though I knew he was at the top of the stairs, the blue eyed curly haired boy comes walking down the steps. He gives me a small smile and I return it.

"Mr. Lahey I hope you don't mind but I wanted to know if I could have Issac's help lifting some heavy things to my car?" I ask kindly, feeling like I'm swishing around poison in my mouth from being nice to the horrible man.

"No of course not Claire." He responds. "And plus it's not like he does much here anyway." He sends a glare Isaacs way before looking back at me.

"Well it was nice to see you again. And thanks again for letting him help." I send him one last smile before heading out of the house with Isaac behind me.

We both walk in silence to my car and it's not till I drive a few blocks away the I talk. "It's not getting any better is it?" I ask even though, judging by the bruise forming around his eye, I know better.

"No, but thanks for stopping by today." Isaac thanks quietly. I'm the only other person to know what goes on in his house, but he made me swear not to say anything when I confronted him about it.

I drive for a while longer before stopping by the side of the woods. Damn the fact that this place is everywhere. "Are you okay?" He questions concerned.

I hadn't noted the fact that my hands are grasping the wheel so tightly, until a pain shoots up my left hand. "Ya it's just that I had forgotten the fact the this town is literally surrounded by forest." I smile to ease his suspicion.

"I just wanted to stop by before I leave for a bit. And I want you to know that I'm going to help more now." He stays silent taking in my words.

I place a hand on his shoulder reassuring him that I'm here to help. A sudden anxious expression crosses his face. "Are you--"

"Can we walk around for a bit." I nod before he all but jumps out of the car. Since when has he been claustrophobic?

I get out and walk besides him. "Lets not walk too far into the woods." I don't need to run into anyone unwanted right now. We both take a seat on a fallen log a few feet away from my car.

I don't want to stress him out anymore so I don't bring up the claustrophobic incident. "I promise, now that I'm older, I'm going to do everything I can to help." I say, giving him a hug from seeing the tears forming in his eyes.

"Thanks Claire." He hugs back, his tall figure hunching over in the process.

I'd be lying if I say that I don't hate myself for not telling anyone about his dad. It's like one of those times were you just can't believe how completely and utterly stupid you were.

Funny how that seems to be happening a lot to me now. Except, ya know, it's not really funny at all more like depressing.

From the looks of it I think it got worse for him. Back before I left I did do a lot to make sure his dad wouldn't hurt him as much, but now I realize that just wasn't enough. So maybe I did deserve all the bad things that happened to me a week ago.

Maybe the universe is finally catching up on all the mistakes and bad things I've done in the past. Maybe karma is finally going to pay a long well deserved visit.

"I promise Isa. I promise." After a few minutes he gets up wiping his eyes. I watch him walk over to my car before standing up.

I don't know why but I get the sudden urge to turn around, so I do. My eyes immediately glare out into the forest. The frick does he think he's doing so close to me.

"Hey Claire. Can we got out to eat." I peel my eyes away from the woods and turn to Isaac.

"Of course. I mean what kind of person would I be if I didn't take you out to eat for helping me." I say, causing him to laugh.

▪▪▫▫

The entire place is bustling with people hurrying to get to their destination. But all the noise and people is a good thing because no one will bother to pay us any attention.

"I'm still not sure this is a good idea." I voice my uneasiness to leave. "I mean what if something happens and I can't get here on time to help." Scott rolls his eyes, helping me take my luggage inside the airport.

"Claire I don't think anything else will happen now that Peter and Kate are dead." He tries to reassure me. "And plus you need the help." Scott smiles.

"Alright, alright, just get over here and give me a hug." I spread my arms out as I motion for him to hurry up. He hugs me and making sure not to hurt my wrapped up left hand I squeeze back.

Letting go I ruffle his hair before taking my bags. We smile at each other before I turn and start walking away.

"Just make sure you keep your promise." I whisper, only loud enough for him to hear.

✖✖✖✖

A/N: Alright,alright,alright (anyone understand that reference). I want to thank everyone who read the book, honestly I didn't think I'd ever get a read so thanks for actually powering through my often horrible writing skills XD

I'll have the chapter up for the next book which is titled Spurious, up either tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Thanks again everyone so freakin much!!!!¡¡¡¡