Coffee Can Be A Real Pain Sometimes

Claire:

"You don't have to walk me to my door." I say as I stop on my front porch. He jams his hand in the pockets of his jacket with a pensive look on his face. Oh god, it's probably what I did to him yesterday. I groan and run a hand down my face.

"Jeez being a human is so hard. I mean we do one embarrassing or awkward thing and we remember it for at the very minimum eight--" Apparently Derek thought kissing would stop my senseless ramble.

Let me just say that if someone would ask me the most simplest of questions right now, well I know for a fact that I would get the answer wrong. Even if it was my own name.

My hands wrap around his neck to balance myself as I stand on my toes to kiss back. Placing one hand on my back he gently grabs my head with the other. And unlike last time, I feel a spark light up were our lips are meeting. My stomach fills with a warm sensation I haven't felt in a long time, making me smile into the kiss.

He pulls backs and I slowly open my eyes not realizing I had closed them. "Years." I finish my previous statement a bit flustered. He hums in response, giving me a half smile.

"My car smells like coffee." He comments before walking away. I stand there with a smile on my face and a still racing heartbeat. Turning on the heels of my shoes I head inside my apparently full house.

I'm greeted by my mother who looks quite dressed up. "Why are your lips swollen." She asks, eyebrow raised. I slap a hand over my mouth, making an amused look grow on her face

"Are you going out?" I question from behind my hand, trying to change the subject. She gives me a sheepish smile, letting me know that I have successfully avoided the topic of my obvious kiss that just happened.

"I'm just going to go tell Scott that I'm about to leave." She says, ignoring my question and heading up the stairs. I follow and as I pass by I hear her explain to Scott about her date. See I knew she was going out, and I'm glad she finally is again.

"Hey Scott. Hey Allison." I greet. They both give my smiles but Scott starts to take a whiff of the air. Not to the extent were it would look weird, but enough for me to notice.

"Why does it smell like coffee?" And that's my cue to go.

I walk into my room dropping my stuff off on my bed. The door bell rings and my mom walks hurriedly past my room. "Claire I need your help now." She calls out, rather nervously. I chuckle before heading into her room.

"Help me with the back would you." She motions to the back of her head. I walk up behind her and begin to help fix her hair up.

Not that she needs to, because I don't mean to sound vain, but my mom is a beautiful woman. The doorbell rings throughout the house again. "Scott." She yells out.

"Mom relax you'll be fine." I reassure as I finish up. "There. Now your even more beautiful." I smile brightly as she turns to face me. And yet again the doorbell rings through the house.

"Scott for the love of God please!" She calls out before walking to the stairs. What is up with that kid.

She comes back shaking her head slightly. "I don't know what's wrong with your brother." Well he is a newly bitten werewolf, but ya, like I'm going to tell her that.

"Ya me either." I laugh and sit on the edge of her bed. She touches up her makeup and I smile happy with the fact that she's going out into the dating world again.

"Mom you look great." I reassure once more. She gives me a motherly smile before heading downstairs. I should probably go make sure this guy isn't going to try anything on her. I'm at the top of the stairs when I hear her call out. "Just half a second."

What the frick frack?

I nearly trip down the stairs but manage to grip onto the rail when I see who's at the door. Peter flippin Hale.

"What the heck are you doing here!" I whisper hiss at him as I stand next to Scott. We both glare daggers at him but he just gives us his annoying smile.

If my mom wasn't in the kitchen I would have snapped the bat that's next to the door on his head by now. He catches both of us off though when he starts to sniff the air. "So that's why Derek's car smells like coffee." He sends me a smirk.

Luckily Scott catches onto things rather slowly, sometimes, so all he does is continue to glare at Peter. "Scott go stall mom." He looks at me hesitating before fast walking off to the kitchen. "If you think that your going to pull something off--"

"So how are things with Derek." He cuts me off. He begins to tap his chin with his finger. "The better question would be what would Scott think if he found out."

I'm actually a bit more concerned as to how he knows.

"So what your trying to ask." I clasp both my hands together. "Is how far, do you think I can shove a baseball bat up your butt." I finish with a cheeky grin on my face.

If looks could kill I would have dropped dead right about now and been in otp heaven.

"Make sure your brother stays out of trouble Claire." I smile at both of them, but as soon as the door closes it drops.

"I have to go after them." Scott states as he takes the stairs two at a time. I follow after him but he stops me at the top of the stairs.

"Stall for me." He whispers, a worried look crossing his face. I give him a quick nod and he bolts down the stairs. I listen for the front door to shut before heading over to Scott's room.

"Come on lets go do something fun." Allison smiles before getting up and following me to my room. I wave her inside as I look around my closet for a box towards the back.

"So I heard from a certain someone." I walk over to my bed placing the box on top of it. "That you like archery and it just so happens that I do too." I flip open the lid revealing a very meaningful bow.

"That's beautiful." She says as I pull out the bow. It's a dark brown recurve bow with a beautiful engraving.

"Thanks. It was the first one I ever got." I hand her a quiver full of arrows as I grab a handful of paper targets.

Securing the target on a tree behind the house I jog back over to Allison. "Alright let's see what you got." She nods before pulling the string back towards her chin, she inhales a breath before releasing, sending the arrow flying towards the target. I grin and clap as she gives a mock bow.

We both walk over to the tree, I pull out the arrow then the target. "Now this is one for the scrapbooks." I say, handing her the paper target. She takes it and I pin up another target on the tree before we both walk back.

"I took up archery, well more like was forced to, when I was around thirteen because my mom didn't want me locked up inside reading all day." I explain as I pull the string back. I take a breath before letting go. The arrow flies through the air, and just like Allison's shot, it hits the bulls eye.

We shoot for awhile longer laughing and talking, needless to say I should be telling Scott he owes me one, but I made an archery buddy out of this so we're even.

Allison's phone starts to ring and I take the bow from her. She pulls out her phone and reads the message. "I have to go." She says, looking up from the screen. We gather up everything before walking to the front of the house.

"Is Scott mad at me?" She asks as we wait for her ride. Dang it. I was hoping she wouldn't bring that up.

"No." I shake my head, thinking of how to explain his situation without giving too much away. Because nothing ruins a teen romance more then finding out that your boyfriend is what your family has hunted for centuries...at least that's what I assume.

"Scott just always acts weird around girls in general. Let alone ones he really likes." I say, making her smile in relief.

We both look up when a black suv pulls up. "Well that's my aunt, and thanks again." She gives me a smile before walking to the car.

As the door opens I catch a glimpse of her aunt. But the scary thing is how she was staring at me. She had the look of someone planning something, and with everything going on right now I don't think I'm going to enjoy it one bit.