Love Is...

As a society we've convinced ourselves that love is this all-powerful, world-changing, soul-shattering emotion. We've puffed it up so much that it can scarely be described as an emotion. It's a force. A force that allows mothers to move cars from on top of trapped children and gives husbands the power to swim freezing channels fueled by the thought of a wife's warm embrace. It's the only force in the world that can overpower the unconscious drive of self-preservation, opening up the door for a single person to give his life to something greater.

And, like I said, we've convinced ourselves of it, so it must be true.

Maybe that's why, as couples, we take it so hard when we're faced with the actual truth. That's why we feel so powerless, and so alone like our soul's been shattered and ground to dust then sparsed across the farthest reachest of the universe, leaving everyone in the relationship feeling incomplete when we learn that love is just an emotion. No, not even an emotion--a high that floods your brain with softly hummed love ballads and feathery kisses and doodles of x's and o's all through your regularly scheduled thoughts. A high that builds and builds and overcomes you until finally, you start your comedown, and plummet from your heavenly peak, back down to the recesses of earth, with the other woeful inhabitants.

Back down where
ultimately, maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day,
Mother's crumble under the weight of the world,
husbands drown in tumultous seas of hidden relations,
and everyone eventually realizes that there isn't anything greater. There just is.

As a society we've convinced ourselves that love is anything but what it actually is. Love isn't a force. Love isn't a high. Love is temporary.