pancakes and postcards

the first time we met outside of school was at a mall close to her place. her place was an hour long drive from mine, and to this day, if she ever feels like hanging out i make the drive instantly.

she complimented me—she always did. i never complimented her back because i was too shy and too awkward and although she was too, she just never failed to say things that made me feel unnecessarily good about myself. i had never met a girl—let alone a person who finds so much good in me to this extent.

we tried to do normal things that people do when they go to malls—we tried on clothes, went to several shops to find something we like but somehow we ended up sitting across each other sharing pancakes and stories and discussing things that don't matter.

half an hour later we were in a book shop, her chocolate skin glowing under the amber lights as her silver covered fingers ran across books and books and books.

i found myself staring at her.

when she saw patterned postcards she looked at me with an excited smile and grabbed two of them, handing one to me.

"what's this for?" i asked.

"i feel like we should write to each other every month, just like good times we have spent together or something—it'll be cool, don't you think?"