1

Chilkat Valley News
December 20

Two days ago, Parker Schnabel's (Haines's own Gold Rush star) wife Layla, who has been very active in her community for the past several years and was the high school nurse up until she had their baby, was in a near fatal accident described as a head on collision. The accident involved a tourist to Haines that was driving a large surbuban. Claims were made by the tourist that Layla was responsible for the accident, but nothing can be proven because of the blizzard and ice on the road. The tourist only suffered minor injuries and the vehicle was totaled.

The real thing that has locals and loved ones in a frenzy is the fact that Layla Schnabel is nonresponsive at the hospital in Anchorage. The truck she was driving appears to have flipped multiple times before finally ending upside down in a nearby ditch. Authorities found the scene of the accident after the tourist called them. According to a family friend, she is not able to release any information about Layla's condition on the wishes of Parker and his parents except for the fact that she is unresponsive and they don't know the full extent of her injuries yet. The family asks for prayers as they also pray for Layla's recovery.

Two old men sat in a diner in Haines drinking their coffee and talking about the weather and news.

"It's a shame about Layla. She sure is a sweetheart." One of them, named James, said as he read the article. "Says she's unresponsive after that horrible wreck she was in."

"You know Parker's probably going out of his mind right about now. Two days and she's not woken up." The other one, Will, said as he sat down his coffee cup. "I know I'd be if my Janie was."

"I ain't never seen a man so in love as Parker is with her. You know he's going through hell right now." James said.

"No doubt that she was the one for him." Will agreed. "And that son they got, he's cute as a button. Did you see him at the Christmas thing?"

"Yeah, Parker was carrying him around. He had on a big coat and toboggan, no doubt Layla put all those clothes on him. He's about the cutest baby." James smiled.

"I sure hope Layla will be alright. There's no telling what Parker would do without her. And that baby needs a good mama like Layla." Will said.

"Yeah, she's a good lady, I'll tell you that. The way Roger and Nancy talk about her, you'd think she was the best. They took her in as their own. Sometimes you can't tell if Parker is their son or Layla is their daughter." James smiled.

Will clicked his tongue and shook his head. "I'd hate to see the shape Parker's in right now, that's for sure."