12

Three days passed. Parker figured it would be best to keep his distance for a while, but every second he thought about what he could do to get his wife back. Turns out that was the best motivation in the world for him to quit drugs cold turkey, because he would feel disgusted if he even looked at marijuana or a pill. He didn't see anything wrong with it, but Layla didn't like it, and that was a good enough reason for him to quit. Parker had been depressed, laying in his bed for hours on end just thinking of what could possibly make it all better.

He thought about flowers, candy, new car, new clothes. Then he realized that none of that would probably work. He thought about making a grand gesture to show her how much he loved her, but she hated him at the moment so he doubted it would do any good. He thought about finding a way to erase her memory of the day she found out about what he had been doing, and he thought about finding a time machine to go back and change what he had done.

But those things were crazy.

Meanwhile Layla and Logan spent time alone together at the house. They had been apart for many months, but the bond and love between them remained the same. Their days started off with breakfast, then playing and watching movies until lunchtime, then after eating Logan would take a nap, accompanied by Layla. When Logan woke his mom up, it was more play and movie time until dinner. The day ended with bath time followed by bedtime. Logan had gotten to sleep in the bed with Layla the past couple nights, which he seemed to enjoy as he held his mom's arm throughout the night.

Layla keeps it together during the day, but her nights are sleepless. She can't cry for fear of waking Logan up, but at night she buries her face in her pillow and quietly sobs from time to time with tears rolling down her cheeks. Even though she had to leave Parker, her heart still aches for him, and she longs to be in his arms somewhere in a cabin in the mountains.

But she's not. Instead she's in the king bed laying beside her son, the love of her life. Which isn't a bad thing, but she knows that there's an empty place in the bed and in her heart where her husband should be. In the back of her mind she wishes that she would have never found out, but she did, and she had to deal with it the only way she knew how.

There must have been a million times between the two of them that they had picked up the phone and started to text or call the other one. However, Layla had too much pride, and Parker knew it would make no difference. He had said it all that night that she found out, and in his mind, he thought Layla didn't love him anymore.

"Why don't you come back to Cali?" Lizzie asked on the other end of the phone as Layla sat on the couch in her pajamas while Logan sat on the floor playing with his toys.

"Because then how would he see his son?" Layla said as she threw a piece of popcorn back into the bowl in her lap.

"So what if he can't see him? He wants to see him that bad he can get a plane ticket." Lizzie replied.

"I'm not that much of a bitch, Liz. I'm not gonna keep him from his dad."

Lizzie scoffed, chuckling lightly. "Hell if I wouldn't."

"I might go down there for a visit." Layla mentioned. "I think me and Logan would benefit from a change of scenery and it's getting to be so cold up here."

"Yay! And then you'll love it here again and never leave!"

Layla rolled her eyes, laughing. "Unlikely."

"Hey um, I just wanted to say I'm really sorry for making you find out in the middle of Logan's party, I didn't mean for you to hear it then and I know that you and him were planning a vacation and I just —"

"Lizzie." Layla interrupted. "It's fine. It's something that I was bound to find out sooner or later. It's probably a good thing me and him didn't go on that vacation. We were starting to try to have another baby and..." She paused as she frowned.