NINE. real life

SUNDAY NIGHT FOUND BRETT TALBOT STANDING ON LIAM'S FRONT PORCH. He leaned against the wall, patiently waiting for Liam to answer. He had rung the doorbell several minutes ago with no response, so rang it again. The door swung open to reveal not Liam, but his mother. Liam's half sister Erin stood cautiously behind her mother's legs until she noticed that it was Brett rather than some stranger. She smiled shyly and waved from her position. Brett waved back good naturedly before turning back to Liam's mom. Before he could get out a "Hi Claire." She was already stepping aside to let him in the house with a, "Liam's in his room. Cheer him up okay?" Brett nodded in the affirmative before heading inside and jogging up the stairs to where his friend was no doubt brooding.

He found Liam laying in bed fully clothed on top of the bed. The tiny television he had convinced his parents to allow in his room blared some MTV movie, but Brett was pretty sure he hadn't been watching it. Upon Brett's entrance to the room, Liam's eyes flicked over to see who it was, but he gave no verbal confirmation that he had seen him. Brett rolled his eyes and pushed Liam farther to one side of the bed so he could lay next to him.

"Whatcha looking at?" He asked conversationally, peeking at his friend. "Nothing." Was Liam's response. His voice was dull and he seemed more upset than he had the last time they had talked.

They laid in silence for several minutes before Liam suddenly sat up. "I'm having a gay dilemma." Brett stopped himself from laughing, knowing that Liam was serious. "Same thing as before?" At Liam's nod, Brett continued talking. "It's that Raeken kid right? Is it because he has a girlfriend now?"

Brett sat up to face him. "I feel partially responsible for this but at the end of the day you made the decision to not pursue him. You can't be mad that he isn't available anymore, and you definitely can't take it out on him." Liam's face darkened but he did not respond.

"And besides, you have that project together still, right?" Liam groaned, "I forgot about the stupid project." He leaned against the headboard of his bed, sighing. Brett scooted next to him so that they were shoulder to shoulder.

Liam could feel the heat radiating between them. As Brett looked over at him, there was split moment where Liam was sure he was about to be kissed by Brett. Gunshot noises from the television broke the spell, and Brett quickly turned away to look at the tv. Liam sighed.

They sat in silence for about an hour, watching the movie on Liam's tv. Eventually, Brett found himself wrapping an arm around Liam, who was just starting to fall asleep when his phone started ringing. Pulling his arm away , Brett looked at the alarm clock on Liam's bedside table. It flashed 10:23— he would be expected home soon. "I should go." He said softly, as Liam silenced his phone. "Who was calling?"

Liam raised his phone so that Brett could see, "Scott." He looked sheepish, "I might be ignoring his calls." Brett snorted, "You should talk to him; he gives good advice." Brett slid off the bed and was reaching for his keys when he felt himself being turned around. And then Liam was kissing him. His eyes went wide in surprise, but he closed them, leaning down to make it easier for his shorter friend. Or maybe more than friend.

( note! )
I know what you're thinking, "Iyanah this is a THIAM book!" Don't worry, we'll get there.